THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BBQ Bacon

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dean
We made Birria Tacos this weekend and with the left overs Birria taco soup. These were delicious, but it seemed like something was missing. Does anyone here have a Birria Taco recipe they just can't live without?

Birria-Tacos.jpg

Birria-Taco-Soup.jpg

Sure looks like you nailed the tacos!

Just thinking out loud here - it's possible that the birria soup you used was watered down in comparison to birria stew, which is entirely different. Birria stew is what birria tacos are traditionally made from, and from the photo of your broth, the soup had a much less concentrated chile flavor. This is what birria stew broth/sauce typically looks like(sans meat):

Birria_Tacos_11.21.216.jpg

Here's a full cook thread I did for birria tacos, with the recipe I used, and continue to use as it's really good:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295562

Sure looks like you nailed the tacos!

Just thinking out loud here - it's possible that the birria soup you used was watered down in comparison to birria stew, which is entirely different. Birria stew is what birria tacos are traditionally made from, and from the photo of your broth, the soup had a much less concentrated chile flavor. This is what birria stew broth/sauce typically looks like(sans meat):

Birria_Tacos_11.21.216.jpg

Here's a full cook thread I did for birria tacos, with the recipe I used, and continue to use as it's really good:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=295562

Thank you Richard. I'll definitely give this a try!

We also used out Instantpot pressure cooked. Pressure cooked for 45 minutes, then removed meat, blended the liquids, shredded the meat and put back in the Instantpot for 4 hours of slow cooking. Meat pretty much fell about just lifting it out to put in the tacos.

I find the birria stew too over powering (tasted like chili taco's) and i prefer cold shredded cheese over melted cheese on taco's.
To each their own, but im not a fan of the birria craze.

Thanks

I have not had birria tacos yet, so I can’t comment on what’s good or bad, but I saw this video a while back and plan on trying this recipe sometime this year.

https://youtu.be/KMccZ03fSAM

I’ve had birria tacos at the local restaurant and like them a lot. Thanks for sharing this. Can’t wait to try.

Sort of like a Mexican French Dip.

Yea, you need a thicker consome (broth). And it should be deep red like Moose's. Make sure to use dried guajillo chiles (and maybe an ancho or N.M for variety) as the base. Toast, rehydrate, blend with spices, etc. This is what makes it. I've had birria at more that a few joints in Texas and have yet to find one as good as homemade. And the InstantPot, though maybe not traditional, works great for this.

All this talk of Birria tacos made me hungry! So I had one for lunch yesterday at a local Mexican sit down restaurant nearby that makes pretty darned good ones:

VrnMxYC.jpg

In the background is a small cup of dipping broth, plus an al pastor taco. They really packed the birria taco with meat, and it was both filling and satisfying!

Back