THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Last week I asked for some directions for doing a smoked ham.
The ham was store bought and pickled, it said on the package it had 2,2% of salt.
Wanted to smoke and then glaze it.

I decided to go with a salt free rub and using the vast knowledge of this forum MSU´ed a glaze starting from a peach sauce we happened to have in the freezer. Tasted the peach sauce up front and added soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, sage, smoked paprika and cinnamon (from a recipe somebody posted).

Smoked the ham for about an hour at 250F with some cherry wood, then let the kettle go up to about 360-370F to get the skin crispy, glazing the ham every 20mins or so. When I pulled it off the kettle to rest, it already smelled amazing.

It was a big success around the dinner table. The glaze really worked well with the salty pork, the addition of cinnamon was perfect. The skin was perfectly crispy and nearly caused a fight :boxing: :shocked: :laugh: Served with grilled broccoli and potatoes. Can´t wait to make some sandwiches with the leftovers :)

Attachments

You certainly nailed that cook!! No doubt that ham is going to be better the next day and I envy you for getting to have awesome sandwiches from it.

Yoeri, That is one fantastic looking Ham Brother, Heck I would have fought over the crispy skin !!!

Thanks!

I saw the little piece come of when I took the foil off after resting.
I know I had succeeded with the crispy skin but kept schtum.
Then I sliced and pennies started to drop, QUICKLY.
Everybody had some so all was good.

Thanks guys, I managed to get 2 more lunches out of the leftovers.

Gonna have to do this again with a fresh ham and brine it myself. This one was a tad salty for my taste. OR get another pickled ham and de-salt it. Either way, pork+peach glaze+crackling skin is a winner.

Back