Smoked ham success!

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
Last week I asked for some directions for doing a smoked ham.
The ham was store bought and pickled, it said on the package it had 2,2% of salt.
Wanted to smoke and then glaze it.

I decided to go with a salt free rub and using the vast knowledge of this forum MSU´ed a glaze starting from a peach sauce we happened to have in the freezer. Tasted the peach sauce up front and added soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, sage, smoked paprika and cinnamon (from a recipe somebody posted).

Smoked the ham for about an hour at 250F with some cherry wood, then let the kettle go up to about 360-370F to get the skin crispy, glazing the ham every 20mins or so. When I pulled it off the kettle to rest, it already smelled amazing.

It was a big success around the dinner table. The glaze really worked well with the salty pork, the addition of cinnamon was perfect. The skin was perfectly crispy and nearly caused a fight :boxing: :shocked: :laugh: Served with grilled broccoli and potatoes. Can´t wait to make some sandwiches with the leftovers :)

Attachments

• Foto 4-07-2021 18 49 15.jpg
    Foto 4-07-2021 18 49 15.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Foto 4-07-2021 18 49 18.jpg
    Foto 4-07-2021 18 49 18.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Foto 4-07-2021 18 53 40.jpg
    Foto 4-07-2021 18 53 40.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 171
You certainly nailed that cook!! No doubt that ham is going to be better the next day and I envy you for getting to have awesome sandwiches from it.

Yoeri, That is one fantastic looking Ham Brother, Heck I would have fought over the crispy skin !!!

Thanks!

I saw the little piece come of when I took the foil off after resting.
I know I had succeeded with the crispy skin but kept schtum.
Then I sliced and pennies started to drop, QUICKLY.
Everybody had some so all was good.

Thanks guys, I managed to get 2 more lunches out of the leftovers.

Gonna have to do this again with a fresh ham and brine it myself. This one was a tad salty for my taste. OR get another pickled ham and de-salt it. Either way, pork+peach glaze+crackling skin is a winner.

Back