Smoked Ham Advice

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
So I am smoking my first ham on Sunday morning for Sunday dinner. It is a shank ham portion. Any tips? I will be doing it on my pellet grill. The people I am cooking it for like really plain stuff. My wife does not like any of the sweet glazes on ham (yes I know...killing me). So just looking for good ideas on temp and guesses on time (I do know 140* is my aiming point).
Idk if they would do a rub but suggestions for that is possible. Thanks for any help.

If a sweet glaze is a concern, then I'd personally do a mustard and rub combination that I liked, and just work to keep it from drying out. Baste with some pineapple juice, wrap once. You like the bark, etc. If it's already cured, then you're doing a second smoke, which can be a huge impact on flavor-as long as it doesn't dry out.

With those limitations I would slather, a low salt rub, a pan of water ta keep it from drying out and then sulk till done as all yer possible "creativity" has been shunned by the guests.

-D

It sounds weird but a chef friend told me about a glaze using equal parts Heinz 57 and honey and it was very good. If it’s a spiral ham that comes with the seasoning packet, I mix that in and it’s even better.

If it’s already cooked, it will dry out quickly so I try to get some smoke and glaze on it quickly and wrap until it’s warm enough in the middle to serve.

I slice it 1/4 tp 1/2 inch deep, 1 inch apart all the way across then turn the knofe 45° to 90° and do it again. I rub it down with mustard and then layer on a sugary rub. Smoke at 225 until 140°. That goes over well.

Last edited:
Instead of doing a glaze, buy a can of sliced peaches and pin them to the ham with toothpicks. Its not crazy sweet, nor a glaze, but the drippings are amazing to ladle onto the ham after its sliced and plated.

Also, use pecan pellets.

Last weekend I had the opportunity to cook on a new Costco Traeger. While visiting wife's niece, they asked if I would give them some pointers on brisket as their two previous attempts had left them somewhat dismayed. After a trip to Costco, we came home with a brisket, two chickens and a ham. As for the ham, they chose no seasoning and it was cooked to 140 degrees. Unfortunately, to my taste anyway, we could have produced the same results in the oven. Brisket and and spatchcock organic chicken the same, no smoke flavor. I guess my taste buds are burned out. They all raved about the food, but my wife concurred there was no smoke flavor.

I know folks claim a lower temp setting will produce a smoke flavor, so you might try that and allow yourself plenty of time to get to 140 degrees.

Good luck,

Robert

My spriral ham go to on Rec Tec:
I use my rub
275*
2 - 2 1/2 hours
Never glazed
Interal 145 ish
Tent for 10 minutes

Back