Smoked andouille sausage and chicken gumbo - A step by step Pron guide

As I just posted in the BBQ shrimp thread, I'm a native New Orleanian, so Saiko I give you certification that that is authentic Chicken and Andouille gumbo.

There are two classes of gumbos--okra gumbos and file' gumbos, depending on whether you use okra or file' powder (ground sassafrass) as a thickener/flavoring agent. Chicken and Andouille gumbo, sometimes called Gumbo Ya Ya, is traditionally a file' gumbo, so no okra. However, making gumbo is as varied as bbq, so there's no right or wrong way. Taking that into account, then, Saiko, I grant dispensation on the use of okra.

Lots of store bought andouille is chit. Good "sausage" but chitty "andouille". Authentic andouille is garlicky, smoked over pecan, with a very, very coarse grind, stuffed into oversized casings. If you want authentic andouille order if from either Bailey's or Jacob's, both in Laplace, Louisiana, the andouille capital of the world. You can google them and they'll ship to you.

Of course, since we all own our own smokers, you can take the finest quality kielbasa or other garlicky sausage, and smoke it yourself. You can also make your own tasso ham, which is usually an ingredient. If anyone wants, I'll post a recipe later (I'm off to a bbq party right now in a minute).

Where most gumbos made outside of Louisiana fail, whether at home or at a restaurant, is the roux. Usually there is none! Or if one is used it is thin, light, and uninspired. Saiko, that roux looks perfect. Everyone else take note of the color and consistency and try to imitate it. Saiko, I pronounce you honorary Cajun.

--frank in Wilson, NY (formerly of New Orleans)

If you want authentic andouille order if from either Bailey's or Jacob's, both in Laplace, Louisiana, the andouille capital of the world. You can google them and they'll ship to you.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the info on Jacob's. The chef at at a cajun place near my house told me about Jacob's (it's what he uses), but then when I got home I couldn't remember the name.
Does andouille freeze OK? If I order from Jacob's I will probably just order a bunch and freeze it. Thanks again!

Great guide Saiko!

Still ain't got that roux makin' down yet. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the kind words, and thanks for the info on Jacob's. The chef at at a cajun place near my house told me about Jacob's (it's what he uses), but then when I got home I couldn't remember the name.
Does andouille freeze OK? If I order from Jacob's I will probably just order a bunch and freeze it. Thanks again!

Actually, Bailey used to work with Jacob, but about 20 years ago they had a falling out so Bailey opened up his own place. They are right around the corner from each other. The differences between the sausages produced by the two are minute.

Yes, andouille freezes great. I usually order a bunch, wrap them individually in freezer paper, and freeze, pulling a link or two out when needed. These links are huge. Like a foot and a half long and two to three inches in diameter. If you won't be using a whole link, microwave it just enough until you can cut off the amount you need and return the remaining part to the freezer.

later,

roux

My first post on this great looking site. Yes, andouille does freeze very well. I put my links in a Food Saver(vacuum pack), make the bag long enough to remove it from the freezer and extract number of links I need and still be able to reseal the bag. I have eaten meat frozen for over two years, andouille included, and it has been fine.
Can't claim native status like Comfrank, but after living in NO for one year back in the 60's had to still have some NO-like food so have been playing around with it for years. The roux is the key and everthing Saiko and Comfrank have said in my experience is gospel. Write it down. One point: the darker the roux the less thickening ability it has. I've cheated a little bit now and then with my gumbo and added a little corn-starch slurry near the end of cooking which will help.
A couple questions if I may: 1) I've tried Savoie brand andouille(made in NO) from the grocery store and although I don't mind heat, it is just too hot. Could some one tell me what the relative heat in a Jacob or Bailey andouille might be relative to the Savoie brand? And 2) I'm cooking for two---and the wife just doesn't eat much. How well do BBQd pork ribs freeze?
Promise not to be so long winded next time. And thanks.
P.S. I don't know who put the little aphorism below my screen name, but at 74, it pretty well charaterizes my mental status a good bit of the time!

I'm cooking for two---and the wife just doesn't eat much. How well do BBQd pork ribs freeze?

P.S. I don't know who put the little aphorism below my screen name, but at 74, it pretty well charaterizes my mental status a good bit of the time!

I can answer two of the questions, but will have to rely on our Louisiana native brethren for the andouille question. Ribs freeze very well. Most of the Brethren use vacuum sealers and just throw them in simmering water while still in the vacuum pack to reheat (I am assuming the vacuum packs can handle this?). I'm still waiting on the next 30% off coupon from Bed, Bath and Beyond to get my Food Saver, so I currently reheat mine in the oven. I wrap in foil, hit them with a little more sauce, and cook them at 350 degrees. I have found that it takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to get them nice and hot, and I always pull them a couple days before hand from the freezer so they are thawed.

As far as the little title there, those are auto-generated based on post count. You can see all the titles and required post count here:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17759

One of the all time great instructional threads! I will give that a shot, no doubt about it. Thanks for being bored...

One point: the darker the roux the less thickening ability it has. I've cheated a little bit now and then with my gumbo and added a little corn-starch slurry near the end of cooking which will help.

Could some one tell me what the relative heat in a Jacob or Bailey andouille might be relative to the Savoie brand?

It is a mistake to think that gumbo must be *thick*. It shouldn't be watery but neither should it be gummy. The French make a very light roux and use it as a thickener. The Cajuns make a very dark roux mainly as a flavor enhancer--it loses much of its thickening power. That's why okra or file' are used. They provided the thickening. Me? If I make a non-okra gumbo, I just sprinkle about a half teaspoon of file' into the serving bowl right before eating. That's plenty of thickening for me.

Jacobs and Bailey's andouille is not very spicy at all. Their hot tasso ham, however...that's another story entirely.

Thanks for the recipe just made it and letting it simmer for an hour! First time making gumbo or a dark roux.

Thanks for the recipe just made it and letting it simmer for an hour! First time making gumbo or a dark roux.

As long as you didn't burn it you should be good to go!
This post originated almost 2 years ago for those replying BTW. I still make it about the same way, although I don't add okra much anymore. It's good with it or without it .

This post originated almost 2 years ago for those replying BTW. I still make it about the same way, although I don't add okra much anymore. It's good with it or without it .

Saiko,
thanks for the great tutorial! I don't add okra to mine either..just can't get around it for some reason. I'm gonna try your fast roux methond one of these days but in the mean time, i'll just stir, stir, stir, stir LOL

Thanks. Excellent recipe. Will be making again. I toasted some french bread up to go with it.

I'm a big time gumbo lover, and my favorite is duck gumbo. I used to go duck huntiing, and bring the birds to the mom of a friend of mine, and she would make a duck gumbo that was to die for.

I still have my shotguns, but don't have a place to hunt ducks, anymore. I haven't had my friend's mom's duck gumbo in about thirty years. I do miss it.

CD

Absolutley Wonderful. Thanks for the info :thumb: I have a Gumbo recipe, which includes sea food, wife won't eat it :mad:. So, with this it's chicken and smoked sausage. I do use the File Gumbo at the end to thicken. Your Roux is different style than mine. will have to try yours, looks much better and a whole lot more fun.

Back