Smoke-n-Thunder BBQ Classic (Rome, GA) Competition Canceled

Roast Beast

is one Smokin' Farker
Just got this email. Really unfortunate. This was a great contest, the only double we have in GA, and a Georgia BBQ Championship points event.

ROME, GA; July 5, 2016 – JLC AirShow Management officials announced today that the Smoke-n-Thunder BBQ Classic competition held in conjunction with the annual Wings Over North Georgia air show is officially canceled. After four years of spirited competition, air show management has been unsuccessful in securing enough sponsorship for the BBQ Classic portion of the air show weekend activities.

The Wings Over North Georgia management would like to thank Mr. Scott Smith, 2015 BBQ Classic Director along with an outstanding group of volunteers, judges and officials for their support and dedication during the BBQ Classic's four years of competition. Scott has worked closely with air show management in efforts to continue this competition, unfortunately the final cancellation was an unavoidable business decision.

All BBQ Classic competition teams that were signed up for this year's competition can expect to see their competition application refund in the mail ASAP.

The WingsOverNorthGeorgia.com air show and concert series this Oct 29-30 at Rome's Russell Regional Airport will proceed as scheduled headlining the USAF Thunderbirds military jet demonstration team along with country music artist Travis Tritt.

Wings Over North Georgia
Russell Regional Airport
Office: (706) 291-0030
Email: tina@jlcairshows.com

Really hate it. Great comp, great air show. We got a RGC there last year and really wanted to do another double. Maybe someone will pick it up and run with it next year that has some deep pockets.

That does suck. We were thinking about headed up that way if we were doing any good in the GBC points.

It was just a business decision. Because he loves BBQ, John Cowan has stuck with it, at a loss, for 5 years now. Finally he and his partners must have had enough.... They are full time promoters of air shows and are in the business to make a profit. It sucks because I love the contest, so much that I even sponsored part of the BBQ contest last year, but I get their reasoning. After their power bill, category and overall payouts, kcbs fees, rep fees, trophies, etc. for both days, they just could not get the corporate sponsorships to make up the loss. John told me that he could open the bbq area up to campers and make a huge profit on that same plot of land.

Sure seems to be a lot of the great contests going away lately....

Think the GBC will add a contest or two to replace the double? Trying to plan out the rest of our (limited) season. Was hoping to hit five or six GBC contests, but Rome was two of those.

Think the GBC will add a contest or two to replace the double? Trying to plan out the rest of our (limited) season. Was hoping to hit five or six GBC contests, but Rome was two of those.

We'll have plenty GBC events in, but I was really banking on this one late in the season to knock two out in one weekend as our October/November schedule is stacked. Looks like we're doing Winder now and possibly Kennesaw to make up the slack.

Well that is a bummer, but I can understand it. We were planning on making the trip down this year, dunno what to do now......

We'll have plenty GBC events in, but I was really banking on this one late in the season to knock two out in one weekend as our October/November schedule is stacked. Looks like we're doing Winder now and possibly Kennesaw to make up the slack.

Hey Beth, I know that you were hoping to repeat your Grand Championship from the Saturday in Rome again this year also! See you in Greenwood (I hope!).

While it is unfortunate, obviously the GBC does not have any say when an organizer chooses to cancel their event. The fee paid to GBC is not refunded to the organizer, but if the event is facing dramatic financial problems that is probably not significant to the organizer.

GBC bylaws prohibit changes to the season schedule of qualifying contests after it is announced at the annual banquet in February, so replacing the Rome events is extremely unlikely.

Disclaimer: I am no longer a member of the Georgia BBQ Championship Board of Directors and this post is my personal opinion; I do not speak for the GBC.

Back