smithfield ribs from walmart

This showed up at the UPS store yesterday... much happiness

20160512_191231.jpg

(posted thread in Q-talk http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3550056#post3550056)

Nice! Hopefully I'll be getting one soon.

Reading this thread, I went to look at Smithfield ribs again. Ignoring the label, I looked solely at what the meat looked like. The quality just wasn't there. They were quite fatty, and had a grayish cast.
Maybe I'm too picky, I rarely cook more than a few slabs.

I went through a few cases of both SLC and Spares and found the spares to be much better quality. Not sure why. I bought only spares and cut them down to SLCs. No problem with grayish meat. They smelled good. Hoping they do well this weekend.

We cooked all Smithfield Extra Tender Ribs and Pork this weekend, purchased from our local Walmart, and ended up with a 2nd rib, 6th pork and GC overall at the SAMs Club locals in Bowling Green KY. I bought the full spare ribs and trimmed them to St.Louis, and they were nice! Great flavor and great tenderness. It also saved me a couple of hours during the week running to Costco to buy ribs and Restaurant Depot to buy butts (which is what I used to do....) I think that I will be sticking to the Smithfield Extra Tender this season....

As a side note, not only did they cook and score well, Smithfield is really jumping on board supporting competition bbq, so I will do whatever I can do in return to support them. Great products and great company.

We cooked all Smithfield Extra Tender Ribs and Pork this weekend, purchased from our local Walmart, and ended up with a 2nd rib, 6th pork and GC overall at the SAMs Club locals in Bowling Green KY. I bought the full spare ribs and trimmed them to St.Louis, and they were nice! Great flavor and great tenderness. It also saved me a couple of hours during the week running to Costco to buy ribs and Restaurant Depot to buy butts (which is what I used to do....) I think that I will be sticking to the Smithfield Extra Tender this season....

As a side note, not only did they cook and score well, Smithfield is really jumping on board supporting competition bbq, so I will do whatever I can do in return to support them. Great products and great company.

Congrats on the calls.

Sure wish the Walmart around here carried their PB's.

Do any of the Missouri Brethren know where to get Smithfield Pork Butts specifically in the Eastern part of the state? I've been told that Shnucks carries them but the few shnucks that I've checked all they have had is IBP.

Enhanced

I used a rack of Smithfield Extra Tender Ribs (Enhanced with 8% solution)from Walmarts, for a practice cook yesterday, out of curiosity, and they turned out very tasty. However, the texture of the meat was different from the non-enhanced ribs I also cooked for comparison. For lack of a better term the texture was hammy, not the taste, the texture. As I said, they didn't taste hammy, the meat just had the texture of ham, not real tender but not objectionable. I hope you know what I mean. I personally wouldn't use them in a comp.... On appearance, I agree with you, the rack was well marbled, the bones were fairly straight one of the better looking racks I've seen lately.

Hi So the extra tender Smithfield ribs "ARE" enhanced. I was in Walmart today looking at the Smithfield ribs,didn't see where they were enhanced. Prices were good for the both the BB's and St Louis. If they weren't enhanced I might have given them a try.

DanB

I am in Central Arkansas and I am also having trouble locating the Smithfield ET Pork Butts. Walmart has all three types of ET ribs, but no butts.

FYI, you still have a few days to sign up for the "Smokin with Smithfield" contest. $5000 for both pork and ribs plus $180 for each perfect score. Registration closes on the 30th.

http://www.smokinwithsmithfield.com/

The swag box was pretty sweet. I was expecting a couple stickers lol. Anyway, I have gotten more from them already than any other meat company. Now I just have to find some butts.

Hi All I was in Walmart this morning looking for Smithfield extra tender ribs.
Came home with just 2 racks of BB's. The St Louis and the full spares were more fat then meat, bummer cause they were a good price.
Hopefully the fat to meat ratio will change?
DanB
PS Will post my results for the ET ribs when I smoke then soon.

Hi So the extra tender Smithfield ribs "ARE" enhanced. I was in Walmart today looking at the Smithfield ribs,didn't see where they were enhanced. Prices were good for the both the BB's and St Louis. If they weren't enhanced I might have given them a try.

DanB
We pump every other category of meat full of phosphates, what is wrong with enhanced ribs?

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
We pump every other category of meat full of phosphates, what is wrong with enhanced ribs?
If it's with your full knowledge, nothing. It's one thing to choose to brine a piece of meat. But we choose the mixture and the time in the brine. Buying salt water by the pound at the same price as the meat is a totally different thing.

Hi Was not happy with my prior experience with enhanced ribs.
Don't want to smoke for 4-5 hrs and come away with hammy tasting ribs..
But willing to give these a chance.
DanB

Hi Was not happy with my prior experience with enhanced ribs.
Don't want to smoke for 4-5 hrs and come away with hammy tasting ribs..
But willing to give these a chance.
DanB
Forgot to mention that. I value my time and like good food. If I want ham, I'll cook ham..

Forgot to mention that. I value my time and like good food. If I want ham, I'll cook ham..

If you value your time so much, I'd not even bother trying them or even commenting on them. Just out of curiosity though, how many times have you cooked the Smithfield extra tender ribs?

Back