THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Compete

Hi No I don't compete,but been to a few local comps. Met some really friendly people at the comps, got a few tips, tasted some really good ribs.. Gives me something to shoot for in my backyard.
DanB

Awesome....I think that its great that you are here on the competition side...I think that most of the opinions here have been geared towards using Smithfield in competition. I believe that they are fabulous in the backyard or in the judges tent

Most of the Hormal or Tyson ribs that I've ever encountered was 12-15% enhanced, these are only 8%. I've cooked a lot of ribs and have done pretty decent in ribs, I can guarantee you that if I could taste the difference, I'd not even consider cooking them....by the way, if you don't see any decent in the meat counter ask the meat man if they have some in the back, usually they have a case or two in the freezer.

If you look at the label they only have a 2% Sodium Phosphate solution. That's the big difference between them and the Hormel brand. If you can't find the Smithfield brand. The Kroger brand is injected with the same percentage of Sodium Phosphates. I think that Kroger is a branded line of the Smithfield brand.

If the injection/solution is the true ticket, one of the injection creators should work to replicate it.

Sodium Phosphates are nothing new, but the Potassium Acetate and Potassium Lactate added must play a role in tenderizing

My knock isn't against Smithfield, I just think they have better products (better trim/Marbling) available. I went through about 20 racks of Extra Tenders and laughed because in relation to the Prime line, they looked like garbage. Some of the racks looked like they got fed through the saw at an off angle, just odd stuff. No doubt if you took 5 random racks of ET and 5 Primes out of the wrappers and left on a table for a blind observation, you'd select the Primes more times than not.

So I get what you are saying....I cooked really pretty ribs for awhile that didnt score. I think the primes are awesome and absolutely beautiful but the ET's have scored better for us. I think that the biggest thing is that the question was if they were good for comp. There are enough people who have posted that are good rib cooks including Shake and Bake who won team of the year cooking them. That being said it is a awesome choice..and the world works better with more choices...If you are hitting with what you are using that is awesome.

My Results

Hi All Here my results of ET Smithfield ribs. I did 3 racks. Temps were 250 -275
1. BB smoked 2 1/2 hrs-- foiled 1 1/2 back on unfoiled n sauced. Meaty kinda fatty for my taste was just OK.
2. Full Spares were so bad had to trim them down to Sat Louie smoked unfoiled 4 1/2 big boned on the dry side. Not my fav.
3.St Louis cooked same as the BB's nice and juicy & meaty. The best of the lot. Would use them again.

Not any of the 3 racks tasted Hammy.. 1/2 of the BB's were good the other 1/2 meaty side fat layered between the meat
DanB

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
Post?

Awesome....I think that its great that you are here on the competition side...I think that most of the opinions here have been geared towards using Smithfield in competition. I believe that they are fabulous in the backyard or in the judges tent

Hi Should I post my results in Q-Talk, also?
I pick up alot of smoking tips at the Comp section.
DanB

It just can get a little confusing. I think that people assume that posts here with advice and critiques are coming from competition experience. Post where you want.

Smithfield Prime

Cook a rack side by side with Smithfield Prime and you will taste a difference

Hi Smithfield Prime around here in North Jersey, I got a better chance of winning the Lottery..I've only Prime maybe once for tenderlions..We keep a look at for them.
Thanks DanB
PS Taste was OK didn't like the fatty/greazy parts.

Neighbor picked up a rack of Smithfield ribs while I was doing a brisket yesterday, same result again, hammy and too salty. These were floppy and super soft, like fold in half sloppy prior to smoking. They were hammy as the first time I tried them, and I didn't use any salty rubs.

Neighbor picked up a rack of Smithfield ribs while I was doing a brisket yesterday, same result again, hammy and too salty. These were floppy and super soft, like fold in half sloppy prior to smoking. They were hammy as the first time I tried them, and I didn't use any salty rubs.

This happened to me at my first KCBS comp this weekend. They were horrible. I used 5 racks and they all had bones the size of my pinky. They had a bad salty taste to them as well. Very disappointing. I dont have the comp cred like some of you do here but I can cook some ribs (like most can on this site) so I know it wasnt me. What sucks is I used them in a backyard comp early in May because of this thread and I got 2nd and GC overall so I was on board. But not sure if i got a bad batch or what. Picked through the whole case too and at the time i thought i got some decent racks. They also had a thin brown line of discoloration through the meat when I cut them. Bizzare. Back to the squirly bones from Sams.

Hmmmmm Greg...maybe message me...the amount of injection is not a cure....worked pretty good for me again this week
<Constructive thoughts here>

Maybe the racks he tried were in the case for a while at the store? The longer they are in the solution, the better chance for them to turn out hammy. I notice a few racks at one of the walmarts here that had signs of that. Tons of liquid in the cryo, weird color, etc.

PS release pork prod already!

I don't doubt they are solid, since everyone is doing so well with them. I have used their shoulders with outstanding results, I just wonder if there is something I am missing. Any help is certainly appreciated. I was thinking the same thing, LTG, since the rack my neighbor had was really floppy. I will see if I can dig through a case with their meat guy.

Wally World Baby...wonder if they are selling more people of wal mart calendars?

It is nice that there is an option for affordable meat that if cooked properly wins and wins pretty big. If its not for you thats fine...it's a great choice. I actually would appreciate it if you are competing where I am if you use another brand for that week. hahahaha

Back