smithfield ribs from walmart

I'm hoping smith fields get me paid this coming weekend. we just did a practice cook with some that i wished i could have turned in....I hope we can repeat it again in a few days! :cool:

Basically just inconsistent enough for me to stay away from them. However, I will say that I might need to adjust my cooking times as well. I'll probably just stick with Durocs.

You may have a point about the cooking part.:grin: How well have you done with the Durocs?

So, I was scheduled to have some Compart Duroc ribs for last weekends comp in Show low AZ and due to an ordering error the Duroc did not make it. Quick trip to Wal Mart and I picked up 4 racks of Extra Tender full spares and trimmed them down to St. Louis.

3rd place ribs out of 39 teams. Not too bad.

I could not try the butts, as they only had Picnics no Shoulders.

Around here, Kroger is the big grocery chain. They carry "Moist & Tender" enchanced ribs and butts. They appear identical to Smithfield except for the labeling. Does anyone know if these are indeed a Smithfield product?

I believe that they are. These are the ribs that I'm cooking this weekend at the Sams Club contest in Bowling Green KY

Attachments

• 20160510_133634.jpg
    20160510_133634.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 303
  • 20160510_133705.jpg
    20160510_133705.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 303
I snagged a 2nd place with the Extra Tender ribs this past weekend at a local back yard comp. I was a little concerned as the ribs looked thin but for whatever reason the middle part of the rack came out plump and it was very easy to find my 6 ribs to turn in. Really good taste actually and I didnt pick up any ham flavor. Thanks to this thread and everyone's feedback i decided to give them a try and glad i did. I might give their butts a try this weekend to see if they are better than Sams Club. I cooked 4 butts and only 1 out of those 4 pulled fine. The others had that real tough stringy texture. And they were definitely done.

question for you guys; how many days before a competition will you buy meat and let it sit in fridge to use for that comp if you dont plan to freeze it?

question for you guys; how many days before a competition will you buy meat and let it sit in fridge to use for that comp if you dont plan to freeze it?
depends on the cut of meat. Ribs, as long as the use/freeze date allows I'll buy at the beginning of the week.

This is why I shouldn't go to Walmart during my lunch break

20160512_121600.jpg

Reduced price, looked beautiful, but work at a job that would likely fire me if I put pork products in the fridge.

This is why I shouldn't go to Walmart during my lunch break

20160512_121600.jpg

Reduced price, looked beautiful, but work at a job that would likely fire me if I put pork products in the fridge.

Buy a cheap styrofoam cooler and a bag of ice!

Reading this thread, I went to look at Smithfield ribs again. Ignoring the label, I looked solely at what the meat looked like. The quality just wasn't there. They were quite fatty, and had a grayish cast.
Maybe I'm too picky, I rarely cook more than a few slabs.

I literally did the exact same thing today on my lunch break...but I just double bagged em and put them in vegetable drawer, no one was the wiser!

Back