THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time for Brad to add another to his collection

180pin.jpg

http://www.kcbs.us/event/6316/winebrew-bar-b-que-too

Dang! 2 180s? Nice job! (I know this thread is about pork, and one of them was brisket, but - 2 in one comp is amazing)

Went today and bought a rack of st. Louies from wally world....the starter of this thread should def be sponsored by smithfield by now haha.

Mine were 4.69lb, they had full spares there which were 1.99lb but man they were thin on the bone side. All of the st. L cuts averaged 2.8 ish lbs. are you guys finding bigger?

They are on the cooker now for practice, i will try and remember to take a pic.

Went today and bought a rack of st. Louies from wally world....the starter of this thread should def be sponsored by smithfield by now haha.

Mine were 4.69lb, they had full spares there which were 1.99lb but man they were thin on the bone side. All of the st. L cuts averaged 2.8 ish lbs. are you guys finding bigger?

They are on the cooker now for practice, i will try and remember to take a pic.

Way bigger! I had to go through the entire case to find a rack that fell into Big Poppa's 3.7-4.0 recommendation range. Most were in the 4.5lb range.

Way bigger! I had to go through the entire case to find a rack that fell into Big Poppa's 3.7-4.0 recommendation range. Most were in the 4.5lb range.

For st. L cuts??? Whoa thats crazy, mind if i ask your cook time on those bad boys. I guess i need to look elsewhere and maybe ask if they have another case in the back?

image.jpg

Here are mine from tonight, pretty happy, they had great moisture throughout. Only difference i noticed were mine were a tad on the saltier side in the meat itself. I am liking what i see though

Could be my issue, i just patted dry, thus any extra solution coulda still been on the outside of the meat.:doh:

Yep, that might be it. I rinsed the rack completely. I treated the ribs like my comp chicken brine. Rinse it off or you're in for a salty bite!

Yep, that might be it. I rinsed the rack completely. I treated the ribs like my comp chicken brine. Rinse it off or you're in for a salty bite!

Good point, a quick question on that subject, i will not have running water at my next comp. Id like to brine my chicken, should I just bring some type of bowl with fresh water for washing after i pull them from the brine?

Get a 2.5 gallon jug of whatever cheap water your local Walmart sells. The jugs have a dispensing valve that works great for this task. Should be like $3 for 2.5 gallons.

ice-mountain-100-natural-spring-water-2-5-gal_1909834.jpg

View attachment 130500

Here are mine from tonight, pretty happy, they had great moisture throughout. Only difference i noticed were mine were a tad on the saltier side in the meat itself. I am liking what i see though

I've had the salty issue a couple of times, have rinsed and still have it. I got 2 comment cards mentioning salty, but still took a top 5 on those ribs. I think every so often some get over injected. It won't stop me from using them though.

As stated by a few others, I have had pretty good luck with them for eating, but the consistency of the slabs from pack to pack isn't great, and the taste is a bit... turned down, for lack of a better term.

Backyard dinner for a decent price? Absolutely. Comp? Nope.

Back