THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So let me get this right. Someone wanted to know about Smithfield Ribs from Wal Mart. Cooks of all experience level are responding that this is a great product and affordable in this day of escalating costs. Costs that threaten comp bbq.

Why is Untraceable so concerned? Why does he attack TDuffy and still not answer whether he is sponsored by a another pork producer. If his sponsored product is so superior wouldn't he be happy that so many have switched to Smithfield? Should be ducks on a pond for him. No you see we hit a nerve because people are winning with Smithfield.

Now the next level of attacks. Chinese. Are these patriots typing from an manufactured in China I phone? Or from their Chinese Laptop. Are they waving a flag against a company who employs 38,000 Americans and exports everything they produce? Tell me they are watching TV on an American made TV? Isn't this a little hypocritical? So they wont buy raised in USA pork because a Chinese holding company owns it but will buy a chinese DVD player? Huh?

Back on topic. I just got my 5th GC in 7 comps this year using Smithfield Extra Tender. I love them and the company. They are investing in BBQ and selling an affordable product that wins.

They probably drink America (Budweiser) which is not owned by an American Company anymore too.

I'm attacking Duffy? Im just checking on his experiences. Seeing its odd that he has criticized the BPS Elite teams on social media and has stated that he will never compete in the Sams club tour due to problems with the company, I just find it odd how buddy-buddy he is in here and pro-walmart.

I have zero affiliation with Compart. But glad to see that's how you treat last years sponsor.

Huh? Again trying to figure out your motivation. That's your second quote questioning what I chose to cook. I have not said a single thing about why I left last years sponsor. I chose to part company for what I felt were very valid reasons. That is my business. It wasn't a tattoo...it was a year to year sponsorship.

So by being super happy with my decision and having a wonderful relationship with Smithfield and winning with them somehow that is treating past sponsors poorly?
I play for Smithfield.

Trolls are gonna Troll. The results speak for themselves. Smithfield does sponsor us which is a good thing for you guys, otherwise it would be like last year. We would be using the products and not saying a peep.

Now winning ribs is getting more difficult. I gave my seconds to a guy in Nashville this weekend and had to sit in my chair and watch him walk up to the stage to collect his $1750 check and his 180 pin. Ouch!

I'm attacking Duffy? Im just checking on his experiences. Seeing its odd that he has criticized the BPS Elite teams on social media and has stated that he will never compete in the Sams club tour due to problems with the company, I just find it odd how buddy-buddy he is in here and pro-walmart.

I have zero affiliation with Compart. But glad to see that's how you treat last years sponsor.

I wouldn't call it "criticizing" BPS elite teams as I am friends with many of them. We have a friendly rivalry between WCO and what some up in the Dakotas call NCO(No Coast Offense). No harm, no hard feelings, just some friendly competition and a little **** talking.

This is like any other component of competition BBQ, there are a million different products, techniques, and flavors that can win. That's the beauty of this game. We happened to find Smithfield ET ribs last year and it truly helped our rib scores. In a game that every detail counts, these help give us an edge.

Trolls are gonna Troll. The results speak for themselves. Smithfield does sponsor us which is a good thing for you guys, otherwise it would be like last year. We would be using the products and not saying a peep.

Now winning ribs is getting more difficult. I gave my seconds to a guy in Nashville this weekend and had to sit in my chair and watch him walk up to the stage to collect his $1750 check and his 180 pin. Ouch!
I wish I would have shut up and not mentioned I used them. But then again I'm a nobody in the world of competition BBQ so why would anyone care what I use anyways.

So I did a competition test run this weekend. I tried the extra tender ribs, and RD ribs which I believe were seaboard.

I used my usual process which definitely involves adding salt to the product in a couple of forms. I had let the ribs sit in the fridge for three days before I took them out of the package and trimmed them and put them in the freezer.

The ET ribs were incredibly salty and had a "hammy" taste to them.

I may test again some time, but I would absolutely have to modify my process.

As always, this is only my humble opinion.

And how many contests have you done with Extra Tenders TDuffy?
How many contests have you won?..crying about the rules of enhanced meat is like a nascar driver complaining the other guy uses too much wax on his paint..you still have to cook/win the race right?..I've cooked both Compart and Smithfield..Compart were thin,uneven and small racks most of the time(we'd get 8!racks at a time and belucky to use 4)..now with Smithfield I can go into any Walmart dig through many many racks and guess what if I don't like what I see there I just go to another store..not only that they are half the cost of Compart and have just brought us back to back 1st place rib finishes..and lastly I'm not paid nor am I sponsored by either meat I pick what I can win with bottomline..so are you gonna cry about all the chicken that sits in solution?..I bet there are way more teams using "enhanced"chicken than there are people using ribs..I bet some don't even think about their chicken being enhanced.

Good for you Matt. I'm glad you found peace with your meat purveyor. Again, I have absolutely nothing to do with Compart so you are waving your package at no one.

OK You are right with the no one. How many contests you cook with Smithfield? Since this is thread is soliciting opinions about Smithfield ribs at Wal Mart...do you have any experience or just bias?

Good for you Matt. I'm glad you found peace with your meat purveyor. Again, I have absolutely nothing to do with Compart so you are waving your package at no one.
Im not waving any package or flag..I'm just curious how many comps you have won being such an authority on pork and ribs

according to BBQscores, more than you since 2014 if its such a big deal.

been cooking Famland/Smithfield ribs since 2014.

What's it matter? The only thing I've called out are enhanced products when the factory enhancement effects the meat the way it does. Little different than Chicken packed in water. I've also pointed out that once you receive compensation for a product, there will be an asterisk by the comment. I think that's pretty fair. Politicians should need to wear sponsor patches too.

Back