THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

according to BBQscores, more than you since 2014 if its such a big deal.

been cooking Famland/Smithfield ribs since 2014.

What's it matter? The only thing I've called out are enhanced products when the factory enhancement effects the meat the way it does. Little different than Chicken packed in water. I've also pointed out that once you receive compensation for a product, there will be an asterisk by the comment. I think that's pretty fair. Politicians should need to wear sponsor patches too.

So your a hypocrite?..crying about enhanced meat but you use it yourself?..you make zero sense.

whats this got to do with Smithfield at wal mart?

I fully disclose that I am a Smithfield brand ambassador. On my hat, shirt, apron, trailer, camper, website, and Facebook. I forgot the asterisk Here it is for you......... Big Poppa Smokers Smithfield*

I fully disclose that I am a Smithfield brand ambassador. On my hat, shirt, apron, trailer, camper, website, and Facebook. I forgot the asterisk Here it is for you......... Big Poppa Smokers Smithfield*

Bigpoppa_Embed.jpg

I got one of those nifty aprons too, I'm in the cool kids club

you know Smithfield/Farmland makes non enhanced products right? Why am I a hypocrite?

Is your beef with the rules? After going through all these pages of this thread, it seems as if that is case.

Is your beef with Wally World selling ET's from Smithfield?

I have a meat guy for brisket and that it. Are we ALL supposed to use meat purveyors? Is that your beef?

Big Poppa, kinda still waiting on that "Pork Prod".

Is your beef with the rules? After going through all these pages of this thread, it seems as if that is case.

Is your beef with Wally World selling ET's from Smithfield?

I have a meat guy for brisket and that it. Are we ALL supposed to use meat purveyors? Is that your beef?

Big Poppa, kinda still waiting on that "Pork Prod".

Supporting your sponsors is also an apparent no no. We've been reminded in this thread and others about how little integrity we have because we accept product from a company that is pumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into an activity we love.

You're a good cook, untraceable. And a good rib cook too. Why make enemies and burn bridges over this particular issue? The OP wanted information about a product. We have extensive knowledge and experience with it, so we answered. Obviously there are other ribs that win too, but that isn't the original point of this thread. Why make a line in the sand about this issue? I'm assuming you are just having fun trolling.

Supporting your sponsors is also an apparent no no. We've been reminded in this thread and others about how little integrity we have because we accept product from a company that is pumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into an activity we love.

That stinks! I have a good friend and fellow competitor up here in Canada that has his own rubs and sauces and he has a rib sauce that is top notch. We've used it since launch this year he started a soft sponsorship with us, we talk about how we use it and he gives us sauce. All day every day I talk about how awesome it is and how everyone should use it(except when competing against us), now I have no integrity???? Please use Blue Ribbin' Sweet Sauce from Prairie Smoke and Spice.:heh:

Big Poppa, where can I get cattle prod in Canada? shipping and duties sink me when I order straight from you, triples my price.

Skippy if I send you the prototype you will have to use an asterisk. Wait! Then there could be a pork prod thread about you getting it and others not.....I like how you think

(See attached Asterisk's) Not sure you have WCO teams in Michigan?! (Hint Hint, Clue Clue)

I used ET's in Boulder City this past weekend. I haven't mastered the tenderness with them. As far as I can tell they just needed to be in foil longer. I'm guessing others have had similar issues, but I'm thinking it's just a matter of another practice cook or 2 to get them where I want them. I just can't use the same time/temp schedule I've been using in the past. The taste was there though.

according to BBQscores, more than you since 2014 if its such a big deal.

been cooking Famland/Smithfield ribs since 2014.

What's it matter? The only thing I've called out are enhanced products when the factory enhancement effects the meat the way it does. Little different than Chicken packed in water. I've also pointed out that once you receive compensation for a product, there will be an asterisk by the comment. I think that's pretty fair. Politicians should need to wear sponsor patches too.
You called out the enhanced products and how it affects meat.... so what are people like me supposed to do who live in a town with only 2 food stores(one being walmart) that only sell ribs that are enhanced? Drive 100+ miles to find ones that aren't or just learn to cook the enhanced? Maybe your efforts against enhanced meats would be better if you focused on influencing the KCBS BOD to change the rules to not allow them instead of crying on here about them being legal. Then you can screw all the teams like me over by making us drive out of town to get meat to cook a contest because that certainly certainly is a great direction for the future of competition BBQ isn't it??

As far as I'm concerned I wish less people were cooking these ribs, makes it easier for me.

You called out the enhanced products and how it affects meat.... so what are people like me supposed to do who live in a town with only 2 food stores(one being walmart) that only sell ribs that are enhanced? Drive 100+ miles to find ones that aren't or just learn to cook the enhanced? Maybe your efforts against enhanced meats would be better if you focused on influencing the KCBS BOD to change the rules to not allow them instead of crying on here about them being legal. Then you can screw all the teams like me over by making us drive out of town to get meat to cook a contest because that certainly certainly is a great direction for the future of competition BBQ isn't it??

Is enhanced meat an advantage? I don't think so at all. In fact I typically avoid pre-enhanced meats although I haven't tried these magical Smithfields yet. As far as I'm concerned feel free to inject and rub your meat whenever you want. I see absolutely no advantage there.

Is enhanced meat an advantage? I don't think so at all. In fact I typically avoid pre-enhanced meats although I haven't tried these magical Smithfields yet. As far as I'm concerned feel free to inject and rub your meat whenever you want. I see absolutely no advantage there.

Try using meat glue to adhere <redacted> to them.

If "enhanced" meat isn't an advantage then why is the first thing everyone does upon arriving at a contest and having their meat inspected is injecting their meats full of injection that contains some of the same ingredients found in enhanced meats?

Is it an advantage? That is a matter of opinion. As you can see from this thread that there are people on both sides of the fence on the matter. What is more important is that it is an option we have. On the flip side I have never cooked "enhanced" pork butts. I would like to give them a try but neither of the 2 food stores in my town carry them.

If "enhanced" meat isn't an advantage then why is the first thing everyone does upon arriving at a contest and having their meat inspected is injecting their meats full of injection that contains some of the same ingredients found in enhanced meats?

Cause they want to get their work done and out of the way?

Think of it this way. If you were trying to cook the best barbecue of your life for a Sunday party at your home, would you inject and rub on Thursday? I wouldn't. Anything in the 4-12 hour range is probably ideal for most experienced barbecue cooks. If the rule wasnt in place there is just no advantage in pumping meat 24-48 or whatever number of days in advance. ie, the meats will not be "better" with more time.

Cause they want to get their work done and out of the way?

Think of it this way. If you were trying to cook the best barbecue of your life for a Sunday party at your home, would you inject and rub on Thursday? I wouldn't. Anything in the 4-12 hour range is probably ideal for most experienced barbecue cooks. If the rule wasnt in place there is just no advantage in pumping meat 24-48 or whatever number of days in advance. ie, the meats will not be "better" with more time.
my point wasn't the time at which is done but the fact that it is done.

Hey Chris!, I swear that was my thoughts until I tried them. I'd guess I would describe them as a "gold" brisket, a much bigger window for doneness/moisture.

For those that wants every one to disclose their affiliates, I have none when it comes to meat. I have cooked Smithfield ETs for all six contests this year, and have 5 walks with them.......like Matt pointed out, I have a better opportunity to find the kind/quality of rib I hope to cook without breaking the bank, because I do pay the comp bills myself, except for some BBQr's Delight pellets that Candy Sue has been kind enough to donate.....

19 pages, 279 posts, over 16k views on a thread discussing a sub $3/lb meat option which has proven to be a winner contest over contest. I love that there is the longevity here, as it is ultimately beneficial to Smithfield.

Can't wait to see the same passion once the Jack-Links Cutter Brisket's are released nationwide. Don't want to let any secrets out, but let's just say that Darren Warth plans to Feed his Wild Side!

Back