Small offset smoker on a raised wooden deck?

Do you have a gate to back yard? If so how wide?

I have a path into the back yard. And there's some space down there. But it's 14 steps down the stairs, and then about 25 feet to where the smoker would be.

It's just not the same as being on the deck.

1cea1fa1763e8400610c84ef3bf1e349.jpg

Quick question for @gtsum

Workhorse refers to those as "pneumatic casters". Is there really air in there? Is it sealed, or just a hard rubber that a gap inside and some flex?

Quick question for @gtsum

Workhorse refers to those as "pneumatic casters". Is there really air in there? Is it sealed, or just a hard rubber that a gap inside and some flex?

Hard rubber that is somehow sealed as there is not an air valve on them. They do have some flex to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OK so maybe this isn't so bad to get the 740 lbs workhorse 1969 through my house?

I can build a 12-foot ramp. The total rise is 4 feet, so if I'm doing my math right:
  • rise/run = 0.333 slope
  • tangent(0.333) = 18 degree incline
  • sine( 18 ) = .309 * 740 lbs = 228 lbs of force down the ramp

So I need to be able to push / pull with 228 degrees of force to get it up. I might (??) be able to do that with just a few strong people? But I can definitely get a winch mounted somewhere that can handle 228 pounds of pulling force (supplemented by humans pushing!)

Time to order a Workhorse 1969?
0de55364202e5037bb22fd8259aa3aa5.jpg

OK so maybe this isn't so bad to get the 740 lbs workhorse 1969 through my house?

I can build a 12-foot ramp. The total rise is 4 feet, so if I'm doing my math right:
  • rise/run = 0.333 slope
  • tangent(0.333) = 18 degree incline
  • sine( 18 ) = .309 * 740 lbs = 228 lbs of force down the ramp

So I need to be able to push / pull with 228 degrees of force to get it up. I might (??) be able to do that with just a few strong people? But I can definitely get a winch mounted somewhere that can handle 228 pounds of pulling force (supplemented by humans pushing!)

Time to order a Workhorse 1969?
0de55364202e5037bb22fd8259aa3aa5.jpg

I used a 3500lb winch and snatchblock to get my 1975 up on the deck. It was only 3 steps. I had an aluminum ramp rated at 1000lbs and it bent the ends of it. Another thing to consider is if the ramp is too steep, the bottom of the firebox might hit the ground as it’s going up the ramp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you checked with crane operators in your area :grin:?

Seriously.

Some tree trimming services use cranes to cut down trees in back yards.

Have no idea what the cost would be.

I was just researching how to move a smoker myself which I just purchased (as we spoke on my other thread). I wanted to bring out that during my research, I discovered piano movers. Yes. Piano movers are able to move beasts weighing 800 - 1200 lbs (grand pianos) up flights of stairs in multiple stories buildings. I was about to call some when I realized I had a clear path down slope thatI could do with a winch and ramp.

I was just researching how to move a smoker myself which I just purchased (as we spoke on my other thread). I wanted to bring out that during my research, I discovered piano movers. Yes. Piano movers are able to move beasts weighing 800 - 1200 lbs (grand pianos) up flights of stairs in multiple stories buildings. I was about to call some when I realized I had a clear path down slope thatI could do with a winch and ramp.

Oh wow I never thought of that! Thanks

harrybbq mentioned piano movers. Another possible source of heavy object movers is safe movers. They're equipped for such things too.

It doesn't say how deep the smoker is - 18" ? It looks like up to 24" deep could work.

The tube is 20". I emailed Workhorse and they said front to back it's about 28", which should be fine.

You HAVE to video and post it here, no matter the outcome!

Haha, will do! Check back in MARCH 2020. :doh:

Another thing to consider is if the ramp is too steep, the bottom of the firebox might hit the ground as it’s going up the ramp.

OH WOW I didn't think of that.

However, I think it should be fine. The triangle below is the same angle as the 12 ramp I'd need to build. Plus I realized I could even build it up to 17 feet if I needed, which would lower the force needed to pull it to around 170 pounds. Should be fine for my 1000 pound winch? (gulp)

Attachments

• 1969_ramp_angle.jpg
    1969_ramp_angle.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Decision made. I ruled out the Old country Pecos / Wrangler / Bravos, and ordered a Work Horse 1969. See the Waiting on your Workhorse Pits support group thread

I will use it off the deck first, down the 14 steps, and get a feel for the smoker and how much I enjoy using it. If it gets used regularly enough, and I form a bond with it, only then will I begin construction of the ramp to get it into the house and onto the deck. :-D

Either way I'll have an awesome pit. I can't wait.

Too late now but, I was going to say if worse came to worst you could have looked into having the firebox welded on once it's on the upper deck

If you wanted to try offset Oklahoma Joe’s come in a box you put together. You could build it on your deck.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-879-sq-in-Black-Charcoal-Horizontal-Smoker/50329703

I’m waiting on 1969 workhorse (January 2022) and I’ll have to get it up 6 steps but I’m not concerned as I can build a ramp and winch it up.
That OK Joe is so light I could just carry it up put together. I almost got a Pecos for that reason.

But I ended up ordering a 1969 just like you and plan to build a ramp and winch it up 5 steps through the front door of the house.

Well despite the overwhelming response to out it on the deck, I have decided to do the opposite. And as long as it's going down in the yard, it allows me to upgrade to the larger 24"x48" size (Workhorse 1975).

I like the idea of not having the fire in the deck, not having the weight on the deck, not having the giant thing taking up room on the deck, and not having to build the ramp and winch it though the house.... and some day having to figure out how to get it back out. Putting it on the deck requires more commitment than I'm ready for!

I also realized it's not a bad place to hang out down there. It's near the wood pile and the hose for cleaning. And it allows upgrading to the 1975. I most certainly do not need that much space today, but maybe some day I will and it should give me easier fire management in the mean time.

I don't think fire hazard is your main concern, but weight would be. As far as moving it, hire some piano movers. They are used to schlepping 600 lb things. It won't be cheap but it will be cheaper than redoing your stairs.

Ooops...never mind. I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Good luck with your new unit! Being near the wood will be a big, big plus.

Back