Small offset smoker on a raised wooden deck?

Matto6

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Matt
Short version:

How dumb would I have to be to put an stick burner on a wooden deck?

How awful is it to have a stick burner that required going down a flight of stairs to attend to? Or out the front door in a small area that isn't that fun to hang out?

Long version:

I really want to buy a stick burner, but my house is not setup to operate one conveniently. I have two choices:

1. On my raised wooden back deck. It would need to be a "light" smoker because it needs to get carried up 5 stairs and through the house. Something like a Old Country Wrangler would probably work. These light smokers need to be fed more often, but it would be in a convenient place to watch it and attend to it while drinking beers. The down side is (a) has to be a lighter grill (b) running an offset on a wooden deck is probably not the smartest idea. I could get a large fireproof mat, but it's still probably a bad enough idea that I should rule it out. I do have my kamados on the deck but a stick fire that you're adding wood to seems like a different level of risk of coals spilling out.

2. Out in the yard, either down below the deck, or out the front door. This could be a heavier smoker, as long as it's on pneumatic wheels so I could drag it around to put it in position before use. The problem with this placement is that we don't hang out there at all. I'd have to go down 13 steps every time I want to add a log. And I don't like the idea of warming wood on the firebox while it's unattended and out of sight.

Having to go down a flight of stairs seems like a crappy setup. I'm leaning toward buying something with pneumatic wheels and rolling it right out the front door when I want to smoke something. It's not like standing out there is a problem. It's just not where we hang out... ever

Last edited:
I'd go for the decK. I'd do what I could to make the area directly under and around the smoker as flame proof as possible. Station an extinguisher close by and let the good times roll.

I'd go for the decK. I'd do what I could to make the area directly under and around the smoker as flame proof as possible. Station an extinguisher close by and let the good times roll.

Thanks.

Is there a way to make a thinner smoker hold more stable temps by adding weight once it's on the deck? Maybe add firebricks or something?

The appealing thing about an Old Country Wrangler (or Pecos) is that I could have it within a few weeks.

Def on deck. Thick rubber workout mat underneath will be just fine. Cut it so sticks out foot or so on each side and 1-2 foot past firebox opening if it’s a side loader

What would your budget be if you had a perfect spot with no concerns. Also how big of deck we talking about? Can you post pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snag one of these bad boys if you can. Picked one up from Lowes and it works well enough. Had a coal burn on it for a while yesterday to no noticeable effect.

I have my stick burner on the deck. No issues whatsoever with my setup. That said, I wouldn’t get a small, cheap offset. Been there done that many years ago and they just take a lot of effort to run well. I don’t fancy going down flights of stairs to get to the cooker either though.

I
8408cfd69d817619b52dd5b6a335ac9a.jpg

1cea1fa1763e8400610c84ef3bf1e349.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Im with Gtsum. Also its hard to be lat that 1975 he has. If I wasnt starting my own build soon thats cooker I would probably buy

Also how big of deck we talking about? Can you post pic?

The deck is a reasonable size but not massive. The main area is 25'x12' with an extension that's 14'x6'. Pics below.

What would your budget be if you had a perfect spot with no concerns.
Not sure. I was initially looking at an Old Country Bravos for $1000. Then I found the Lang 36 Patio for $2000. Then I found the Workhorse Pits for $3000. It never ends.

The problem with the more expensive units is that they're too heavy to bring in through my house. Maybe I could get a Lang 36 out there given it's awesome pneumatic wheels. I could use a ramp and winch to pull it up the 5 stairs into the living room. Assuming it fits through my front door and onto the stairs.

Why do you ask? Does someone make a pit I could bring in in pieces and assemble on the deck?

c2716cb9d5be4dcfc476cc3496231033.jpg
11b0a2713aafabb03862d56faad97844.jpg

That said, I wouldn’t get a small, cheap offset. Been there done that many years ago and they just take a lot of effort to run well. I don’t fancy going down flights of stairs to get to the cooker either though

Wow your 1975 is beautiful.

But I don't see how I'd get one onto my deck. It needs to go through the house and I'm concerned about getting it up the 4 stairs since they're slightly offset from the door. It might be doable???

a501151b9112b0239dbc6ddd00329789.jpg

Wanted to see if deck factored into quality of pit. Now that we know its not I can offer my advice

1. Do not go with Lang. A lot of people like them I personally do not and dont think the quality matches price
2. Look at it as an investment and get something that will last forever if cared for.
3. How big of pit do you need? Outlaw patio is nice. Workhorse 1975/1969 very good. Plenty of pit builders out there in 2k-$3k range. All will be 6 months to a year wait which gives you plenty of time to save extra $500 for a crane rental lift in back yard. Sounds funny but I have a komodo Kamado and these are lifted by crane onto back decks daily

139a259741cf05b1db7f6d9085b57124.jpg

Wanted to see if deck factored into quality of pit. Now that we know its not I can offer my advice

1. Do not go with Lang. A lot of people like them I personally do not and dont think the quality matches price
2. Look at it as an investment and get something that will last forever if cared for.
3. How big of pit do you need? Outlaw patio is nice. Workhorse 1975/1969 very good. Plenty of pit builders out there in 2k-$3k range. All will be 6 months to a year wait which gives you plenty of time to save extra $500 for a crane rental lift in back yard. Sounds funny but I have a komodo Kamado and these are lifted by crane onto back decks daily

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately a crane can't work. There's no way for it to get anywhere near the deck. The property is beautiful but logistical nightmare.

I'm tempted to say I need a new house :)

My opinion
The stick burner won't be any riskier on the deck than your kettle or ceramics.
A fire proof mat underneath will help a lot.

Now its time to show pics in and around house. One thing for sure brethren will find a way to get a cooker back there

I've said this before, but now I'll detail... Pick the cooker ya want, a grill mat, a piece of 1&2 cdx sheeting... It'll distribute the weight. Literally nothing will concave.
Are ya around any new construction?

-D

-D

Now its time to show pics in and around house. One thing for sure brethren will find a way to get a cooker back there

Hah. I actually did a few posts up. I am realizing I could built a ramp straight out the door. I just need a place inside to attach a winch. :shock:

I laid square paving stones under the firebox area.
Deck is only 1 step high so a ramp worked.

Chiming in. I have a wooden deck on the terrace with concrete underneath and I stripped some boards away for the offset. On a lighter note,

>How awful is it to have a stick burner that required going down a flight of stairs to attend to

This made me chuckle, as I had to hitch my stick burner eight flights of stairs up to my apartment as this building has no elevator. 420lbs of steel, up the stairs. On a second thought, not so much of a lighter note.

Getting the smoker on the deck sounds like it's going to be an adventure. Before I attempted it, I'd have to ask. "Do I really want an offset- or do I just think I do?". Not trying to dissuade, but this is more involved than having 2 buddies help you lift it down off a pick up and rolling it 5 feet to its new home. If you decide to do it, be careful and get more help than you think you need. Beer is cheap-. ER visits not so much

Getting the smoker on the deck sounds like it's going to be an adventure. Before I attempted it, I'd have to ask. "Do I really want an offset- or do I just think I do?".
Yeah, I hear you. I think I'm going to start of with an easier solution to ensure I'm a stick-burner guy. That means

1. A light one that I can easily get onto the deck, or

2. Something I place down below the deck and just deal with running up and down. If I love everything about it except the running up and down, then I know it's worth figuring out how to get one on the deck.

Put the smoker on a thick sheet of cement board.
Full size, so you have room to move it away from
the railing when in use.

Back