THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
So, I am currently recovering from Covid, so I ordered groceries yesterday instead of going to the store myself. I have been looking at the videos of people smoking chuck roasts, as a cheaper alternative and a more reasonable serving size (it's just me and my wife). So, I ordered a chuck roast, hoping to get one with more fat, and what I got was a shoulder roast, which outside its large piece of fat looks pretty lean. :doh: I'm wondering if there is any chance this is not going to come out dry, and I should just put it in the crock pot. I wanted to smoke it tomorrow but can't get to the store yet. The net seems to think it would be good for slicing, but not for pulling. Anyone have much experience with this cut of beef?

Did one last weekend, you'll be fine if you pull hot. Just ask Nellie about pulling after resting for awhile.

Smoke and put in a cast iron pt and make pot roast!
93bb9d5efc96717c4b01b3253fb60b46.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure about smoking. But arm/shoulder roast is hands down better for pot roast in my opinion. I'd sure try smoking it.

So I smoked this roast yesterday. As you can see, there's not much fat in it....

rzkuJmjl.jpg

I coated it with mustard and pickle juice, Lawry's, Kosher Salt and coarse ground black pepper, then placed it in a ziplock (I was out of Saran wrap) and put it in the fridge overnight.

upisCrfl.jpg

zRhphy9l.jpg

Put it on the smoker at 250 degrees...

sNvULvyl.jpg

Once it hit 165, I put it in a pan with some beef bone broth and covered it with foil...

O7Mt4crl.jpg

Pulled it off at 204, when it probed tender. It had a nice ring, and is not near as dry as it looks in this picture.

lks88dvl.jpg

With a side of fries from the air fryer.

HGSuUwil.jpg

Not my best cook, but it was a really lean piece of meat. Will I do it again, absolutely. It was so much easier and cleaner than prepping a brisket, and we had enough for dinner last night and lunch today..
All in all, for the 27 dollars I paid for it, it wasn't bad. It has great flavor, but I'll definitely go and pick out my own next time and get an actual Chuck Roast with more fat in it.

Back