Shoulder Clod Over Direct Heat

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Had a nice 12 pound clod from a local rancher I needed to use - and wanted to experiment cooking it over direct coals in my Royale Fab direct heat cooker

Night before I injected it with Tony C butter and jalapeño - then gave it a good dusting with both Panther City Beef Rub and Zavalas Brisket Rub

Yesterday i fired up the pit - since I was cooking over direct coals about 24 inches below - went fat cap down for 3 hours (mopped the meat side at 2 hours) - then flipped and went fat cap up (mopped) - and let it go another 2 hours - at the 5 hour mark it was 170 - pulled and mopped both sides, wrapped in foil, and back on pit fat side up for another 45 - 60 minutes until internal was 185 - removed from pit, unwrapped the foil, wrapped in BP and some tallow, and then let rest on counter for 90 minutes or so - then into the warmer last night at 145 for a 14 hour hold until later today -

What a fun way to cook - used maybe a chimney and half of lump the entire cook - with 3 small 10 inch splits -

Won’t know how it turns out until we slice in around 5 - will post a picture or two later tonight of the end result

Looks great!
So if I calculate that you stared around 8 am, I should be there about 6 this evening? :p

Clod looks good. Is Lone Star beer better than it was in the 90's? Yours is the second photo in two weeks I've seen the beer proudly displayed.

Clod looks good. Is Lone Star beer better than it was in the 90's? Yours is the second photo in two weeks I've seen the beer proudly displayed.

Yes - much better - actually my go to these days - they generally have it available at Zavalas BBQ in Grand Prairie - got hooked on it over there - now it’s all I buy at the house

Ted,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out for you. Would I be correct in assuming you are cooking this with the end result being a type of "pulled beef", not unlike pork?

I’m betting that clod will taste extraordinary!

How effective are the dual stacks at regulating temps? Thanks

Ted,

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out for you. Would I be correct in assuming you are cooking this with the end result being a type of "pulled beef", not unlike pork?

I pulled at 183 - 185 - rested it down to 155 before I put in the warmer

Hope to be able to slice half and use other half for chopped/pulled beef - at least that is the plan!

I’m betting that clod will taste extraordinary!

How effective are the dual stacks at regulating temps? Thanks

Actually very easy - it has vents on the side at the bottom of the cooker - these were about a quarter open - keep the door to fire shut - ran the top vents about 1/2 inch open

Takes very little fuel - units is 3/16 steel - I added some 3/4inch thick firebricks at the bottom of the cooker for heat retention and to keep heat directly off bottom of cooker

Started with a half chimney of lump - added a few handfuls of lump at hours 2 and 4 - and a couple of very small splits

It also has deflector plates - I didn’t use them in this cook - if you want to set up like a vertical smoker

What is Clod? I was expecting something in the "chopped" or "pulled" spectrum.

If its lean, sounds like it would be great done med rare for thin sliced beef sammiches.

Agreed - what cut of beef was that? Looks damn good!

Clod is a whole beef shoulder - served at Smittys and Kreuz in Lockhart Texas - pretty versatile piece of beef - is leaner than brisket - you will see folks cook to 180, 195 or 205 - depends what you want to do with it

I still have a whole clod in the freezer, it's huge so I might grind up half ta and throw the remainder on the Santa Maria...could be a fun cook.

-D

Pretty similar to how I cook this one - except you won’t have a lid - but will have better control of the fire since you can control how far the meat is from the heat -

It can be done !

Back