Should I go with a insulated firebox on a sf or not

There is some gain in fuel efficiency as noted in previous responses, but I've found that the chief advantage to an insulted FB is in maintaining constant/consistent temperature. Once I have mine dialed in, it just perks along with an amazing lack in variation; even if I've gotten distracted and let the fire die down a bit. The FB stays hot and fresh splits fire right up. Mine's on a comp cart so I can't speak to clearance other than I've had no issues loading and unloading it on equipment trailers. I would worry more about bottoming if the approach/transition to any driveways you're going to move it in or out of are unusually steep.

My LSG vertical offset firebox is insulated. I added it mainly to help keep my grandchildren from burning their fingers in the event they touched it. It still gets pretty warm but at least they would still have the skin on their fingers.

Maybe more fuel efficient but I have nothing to compare it to. This is my first offset.

I was gonna go with the insulated on mine but you can't get that and the warming oven so I opted for the 1/2 inch instead.

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I do have the insulated fb on my build list. The reason I know its got to be more efficient for fuel wise and the other reason that it will prolong the paint. Some of the videos I see from Shirley Fab I swear looked like the fb was about 4 inches to the ground.

Back