Shirley Fab rehab

Finally, the right kind of weather intersected with free time and we were able to get this thing painted. It sat longer than I'd have liked after the sandblasting and started to develop light surface rust, so I sprayed down the interior with avocado oil so that it wouldn't progress. Some of that oil seemed to seep through or around the metal edges, so before we could paint we had to degrease the exterior. Ideally I'd have been able to get it painted right after sandblasting, but such is life. Instead, we spent a couple hours prepping the exterior.

I removed a couple of the "baskets" so that the underside of the cook chamber was more accessible for painting.

Up on jack stands ready to go

There was a light breeze, but the weather cooperated overall.

Was looking forward to getting the new wheels and tires on

The side facing the direct sun dried to the touch much faster, the more shaded side (cook chamber doors) was still a little tacky in comparison.

One of the hinges on the firebox door sheered at some point and was hanging extra weight on the remaining bottom hinge, which probably damaged it too. I'm going to take it somewhere and have a couple new hinges welded on then touch up the paint afterwards. I think the rest of the hinges are fine, but that was one of my concerns with how long it sat. I greased up the others, hopefully they hold up fine.

When I had it sandblasted, they cleaned everything, including the spring door handles and the Shirley Fabrication logo plate. I figured we'd just go ahead and paint those black too, and if I wanted to change it up in the future, I would.

I still need to re-wire the trailer and install the new lights. The wiring was pretty brittle and didn't withstand the sandblasting, which was expected. I have three 5" Tel-Tru glow in the dark thermometers to install on the doors, then this project will be done and I can start cooking on it. Hopefully in the next month or so.

Last edited:
Awesome job. Love seeing new life breathed into something that someone else neglected or lost interest in.
Your smoker looks fantastic. Nicely done!

Got her back from the sandblaster today, they did a great job. I was pleased with what was underneath the surface rust and gunk inside - it looks like a new cooker.

Just a thought.

Attachments

• Picture-of-Valiant-with-lowered-smokestacks-2-1C-1024x820.jpg
    Picture-of-Valiant-with-lowered-smokestacks-2-1C-1024x820.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 229
  • American-Queen-at-Wheeling-with-lowered-stacks-from-the-John-Bowman-collection-1024x693.jpg
    American-Queen-at-Wheeling-with-lowered-stacks-from-the-John-Bowman-collection-1024x693.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 230
  • John-A.-Wood.jpg
    John-A.-Wood.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 229
Yesterday, I dropped the trailer off to have the firebox to warmer divider worked on. At some point a square was cut out of the roof of the firebox/bottom of the warmer and it was turned into a removable plate type deal. I also had the hinges on the firebox replaced, as the top one sheared when we were painting and the weight of the door put stress on the bottom hinge. These hinges are a little bigger and will allow me to lift off the firebox door to access the hinge pins.

The warmer plate deal seemed sufficient for blocking off the heat and was easily removable for a vertical style cooking method, but I wanted to return it to a more “original” config. It has the baffle between the cook chamber and warmer, but there was never one originally for the firebox to warmer. @TuscaloosaQ was kind enough to put the parts necessary to have a Shirley style baffle in my hands so I could install an authentic Shirley two-baffle setup. Thanks to Paul for that!

I should have it back tomorrow and then I can finally cook in it. I do still need to rewire the trailer and install the running and brake lights but that won’t prevent me from firing it up. I’ve been using the magnetic style brake light setup when I need to hit the road with it and that’s worked fine.

Last edited:
I wasn't sure how I was going to like the old school wheels, but I have to say it turned out pretty sweet.

I wasn't sure how I was going to like the old school wheels, but I have to say it turned out pretty sweet.

I had these wheels on my last Shirley, and while I think they were a great fit for THAT trailer, that sort of style would look out of place on this new one. I just thought the old school looking wheels with whitewall tires were exactly what it needed.

820M_5_Twisted_900x.png

Back