Seasoning poultry

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
I've seen some recipes with grilled poultry where the seasoning is applied under the skin. I've never done that and I wonder if maybe the flavor gets into the meat better? Anybody done that?

Pushed a softened herb butter mix under the skin of a turkey breast few years back. Was pretty good.

I do it all the time.

I make a paste using a little mayo with Gamebird and chicken rub. Start under the skin, and then rub the rest of the chicken pieces. The paste is easier to push under the skin and rub on the surfaces. Lastly, I'll then lightly dust the top when it is on the grill.

Yes, mayo; like mustard on pork and beef, it acts as a glue to keep the seasoning in place, and as it cooks the oils help to crisp the skin.

For something different Salamida Cornell Chicken makes an awesome brine with deep flavors, Chiavetta's Marinade is a great second choice.

I've always wondered over the "BBQ rule" of patting dry the meat, but the turning right around and reintroducing "moisture" by way of slather. I've done it and have not done it with no appreciable difference.
I'll admit, I have not used mayo...I got a tad of mental block there.

-D

I do it all the time.

I make a paste using a little mayo with Gamebird and chicken rub. Start under the skin, and then rub the rest of the chicken pieces. The paste is easier to push under the skin and rub on the surfaces. Lastly, I'll then lightly dust the top when it is on the grill.

Yes, mayo; like mustard on pork and beef, it acts as a glue to keep the seasoning in place, and as it cooks the oils help to crisp the skin.

For something different Salamida Cornell Chicken makes an awesome brine with deep flavors, Chiavetta's Marinade is a great second choice.
I'm also a fan of Chiavetta's. Takes grilled chicken to another level.

I've always wondered over the "BBQ rule" of patting dry the meat, but the turning right around and reintroducing "moisture" by way of slather. I've done it and have not done it with no appreciable difference.

-D
Me too. Love mayo, but can't picture it on the grill.

I always put jub under the skin of my bone in thighs when I cook them on the egg then I put it on the skin and the back of the thigh. I also put them in a brine before I apply the rub

I always place seasonings, bacon drippings, butter, smoked sausage, spicy sausage, italian sausage, etc.. under the skin on chicken. I like the added flavor and moisture.
You can change up the flavor of poultry a bit by having spicy mexican chicken one time, italian chicken another.... boudin, smoked, etc.. I do this with thanksgiving turkeys too.

Me too. Love mayo, but can't picture it on the grill.

-D

I'm with you, I don't care for mayo, but after seeing it used and tasting it, I'm a believer.

If you think about it, it's simply emulsified vegetable oil with the proteins acting as the binding agent. No taste from the mayo. But it also helps to really crisp up the skin.

I'm with you, I don't care for mayo, but after seeing it used and tasting it, I'm a believer.

If you think about it, it's simply emulsified vegetable oil with the proteins acting as the binding agent. No taste from the mayo. But it also helps to really crisp up the skin.

I was a skeptic as well, but then tried it just for the heck of it, and became a convert as you did. This was the cook that caused my conversion:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250207

Many subsequent cooks yielded excellent results. The mayo seems to help render the fat on the chicken skin, paving the way for the coveted slightly crispy skin. :thumb:

I like to get seasoning under the skin in poultry. One thing you can do with whole chickens/turkeys is after pulling back the skin on the breasts and seasoning, use toothpicks to keep the skin in place. I've also used mayonnaise when smoking chicken to help with the skin and liked the results.

I always place seasonings, bacon drippings, butter, smoked sausage, spicy sausage, italian sausage, etc.. under the skin on chicken. I like the added flavor and moisture.
You can change up the flavor of poultry a bit by having spicy mexican chicken one time, italian chicken another.... boudin, smoked, etc.. I do this with thanksgiving turkeys too.

Noted and saved, Jeanie. I'm definitely going to put this to use! :-D

Noted and saved, Jeanie. I'm definitely going to put this to use! :grin:

Thanks for sharing Jeanie.

Hey John, I may have to experiment with this for the Scholarship Awards Luncheon this year.

I find seasoning under the skin does 3 things that improve whole chicken, and any skin on cut piece other than wings
1. Season the meat directly
2. Can protect the seasoning from burning, this can be important for garlic as well as other ingredients
3. Break some of the membranes which attach the skin to the meat making it render a bit better.

Back