THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, for a serious answer. Some pits require initial seasoning and then maintenance seasoning. My WSM didn't "need" it. Just a burn out and then cook, and the seasoning builds as you cook. For the LSG I have on order, I will need to do an initial seasoning / burn in to set the paint. I haven't got all the instructions yet, but I think it will also need seasoning every use until it starts to set.

So yeah, what SSFT said... :wink:

Ok, now my grates has some rust spot here and there how do I get rid of that, I was told try and use oven cleaner then wash off then oil down and then burn and then re oil.

Just heat it up, brush it off, give it a quick spray/wipe with canola or veg oil, wait until it stops smoking, then start cooking. I've never washed a grill or smoker grate in my life. If there's food stuck on a smoker grate I might toss it on the gasser to burn it off before I get started but I never clean them when I'm done.

A stainless steel drill brush is good for spot cleaning. If it's really bad a soak in Zeps Industrial Purple will get it. Clean with fresh water and a brush after.

I wipe my grill grates with a paper towel soaked in corn oil before each cook, keeps them nice and non-stick.

Hi neighbor! Hefty B said it. A good wire brush will take care of most things on a grate.

If you don't have one, you can use aluminum foil in a pinch. Just wad it up and put some elbow grease into it. I do it all the time on my WSM.

I only seasoned a traeger and it was in the manual to do so. That's it. Never bothered with any other.

Back