Boiled Linseed Oil Application Question

K.W.

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
flht01
I’m going to season my Blue Smoke (collar) smoker tomorrow with boiled linseed oil and have a question. How do most do the support legs and the bottom storage grate, basically anything that you don’t want to heat to 400 deg.?

Just guessing here, I would be worried using a torch on a flammable BLO, so perhaps a heat gun set on medium high.

Not sure what you're thinking Mate. You season the smoke chamber. Are you gonna douse the wheels with Linseed Oil?

What am I missing?

I heated mine up first with a weed burner, and the applied the BLO with a mini paint roller with an extension handle. The reason I used the roller is if you apply it to really hot metal, it’ll burn right through your gloves. The oil gets really thin when hot too, and will splash easily. Keep your distance and it’ll be an easy job.

Not sure what you're thinking Mate. You season the smoke chamber. Are you gonna douse the wheels with Linseed Oil?

What am I missing?

My wheels are cast with a urethane “tire”. I’m trying to keep the flame from the weed burner away from them. Also, the expanded metal for the wood storage area could warp with direct flame.

Just paint the legs and grate with high heat paint black or clear

I’m glad you mentioned this. I have a gallon of clear lacquer left over from my car painting days. That would certainly be an option for the bottom frame and expanded metal.

I heated mine up first with a weed burner, and the applied the BLO with a mini paint roller with an extension handle. The reason I used the roller is if you apply it to really hot metal, it’ll burn right through your gloves. The oil gets really thin when hot too, and will splash easily. Keep your distance and it’ll be an easy job.

I like the trim roller idea. If I use the torch in my right hand and the roller with the left I’ll figure out quick just how coordinated I am :mrgreen:

All done, no casualties.
For anyone using the search function down the road, you can put blo on a cold surface. It just takes awhile to dry.

Lesson of the day:
BLO - the hotter it gets the faster you work

Back