Sam's Club Tour?

Take it one step further and the general public could view the judging while they were enjoying the samples provided by the Sam's purveyors.

This is what they do at The Jack, along with an emcee to talk everyone through the judging process. There was definitely a very large crowd of interested and engaged people. People were losing their minds watching the dessert presentations roll by.

All contest need to be a win win for everyone involved weather its a big deal like Sam's or a small town contest if there is not a profit or a positive for the promoter then we have no contest so the next time we are ask to do a peoples choice or something of the sort lets think of how this will help our sport rather than how this will hinder us and try to fit it in our schedule

Maybe this has something to do with it...

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Here's the gist:
Walmart is suddenly closing several Sam's Club stores across the US.

Closures were reported by local media in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona, Alaska, and elsewhere.

In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.

Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

Walmart and Sam's Club did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sam's Club offered an explanation on Twitter, however, saying, "After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition."

Jessica Buckner, an employee of a Sam's Club store in Alaska, told KTVA that all Sam's Club stores in the state are closing.

"From what I heard, there's over 260 stores that have been closed down," Buckner told the station.

The closures come on the same day that Walmart announced it was raising starting hourly wages to $11, expanding employee benefits, and offering workers bonuses of up to $1,000.

Maybe this has something to do with it...

http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

Here's the gist:
Walmart is suddenly closing several Sam's Club stores across the US.

Closures were reported by local media in Texas, New York, New Jersey, Indiana, Arizona, Alaska, and elsewhere.

In some cases, employees were not informed of the closures prior to showing up to work on Thursday.

Instead, they learned that their store would be closing when they found the store's doors locked and a notice announcing the closure, according to reports.

Walmart and Sam's Club did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Sam's Club offered an explanation on Twitter, however, saying, "After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we’ve decided to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy. Closing clubs is never easy and we’re committed to working with impacted members and associates through this transition."

Jessica Buckner, an employee of a Sam's Club store in Alaska, told KTVA that all Sam's Club stores in the state are closing.

"From what I heard, there's over 260 stores that have been closed down," Buckner told the station.

The closures come on the same day that Walmart announced it was raising starting hourly wages to $11, expanding employee benefits, and offering workers bonuses of up to $1,000.
It's possible but the closing list is very few Sam's and mostly Walmart Express and Walmart Market stores. Walmart shifted their business model in 2016 when they bought Jet.com to shift to a larger online retail presence.

Well it looks like this was the reason for the mega silence in regards to the tour. Basically, there are no more Sam's Clubs in Washington State. The store where the contest was held south of Seattle is closing. There were only 3 stores total, sort of the token effort to get a foot hold in the home turf of Costco, and I was always surprised that they survived as long as they did. There were some great weather survival stories borne out of those contests, since we always have stormy, windy weather in Mar/April. Proud I made it to Bentonville once. Now moving on to new contest opportunities for sure.

I am all for the suggestions of trying to make competitive BBQ more public. The issues I see:

1) too many teams, especially at the bigger contests, are in RVs, Toy Haulers, enclosed porch trailers etc. So there is "secrecy" going on and if the audience walks around - what do they see? Expensive mobile kitchens with people inside. We sit in an EZ up with a stick burner and random people come up to us and say something along the lines of with 30 teams here there are only 3-4 of you we can speak to...and we gladly speak to them except during ~2-3 hrs around/near turn in time.

2) samples - the few people's choice or just free sample contests I've also competed at have KCBS turn ins during the people's choice hand out. I compete with a 2 person team - its hard to deal with lines handing out pulled pork samples when we are trying to win $$$ in KCBS. Maybe the promoter needs to give us volunteers to help - we cook on a lang 84 for KCBS contests so space isnt the issue, hands and help are the issue.

I am not saying I have the answers which is why I am not running for the BOD but I see these as issues in getting the public interested. When friends ask if they should go to a contest I always wince and say it really is not exciting. Go to support the local cause/charity as most events have some tie in to charity and most events in our area have some kid rides so I mention it could be an hour or so of entertainment for your kids. But do not expect some grand education into the world of BBQ.

Anyone else hear what Mike M. (MMA) was referring to on The BBQ Central Show tonight? That "certain individuals" (someone from KCBS BOD) tried to negotiate around/behind him, direct with Sam's, and that's why it's not going to happen this year? Just my understanding of what he was saying, but he did mention that the closings had nothing to do with it either. He had to step back due to others getting involved behind his back. You can read into it what you like, but it's interesting.

Anyone else hear what Mike M. (MMA) was referring to on The BBQ Central Show tonight? That "certain individuals" (someone from KCBS BOD) tried to negotiate around/behind him, direct with Sam's, and that's why it's not going to happen this year? Just my understanding of what he was saying, but he did mention that the closings had nothing to do with it either. He had to step back due to others getting involved behind his back. You can read into it what you like, but it's interesting.
I dunno it's possible but it's interesting to note that MMA was the controlling partner in the Sam's tour and The Great American BBQ tour. The timeline is interesting as well.
8/23/2017 - KCBS fires MMA (or MMA quits) It's an ugly split
10/7/2017 Sam's Final - no mention of 2018
10/8/17 Mike McDearman's "it's been a great ride" video on Facebook
11/8/17 Mike McDearman has a large presence at the WFC
12/13/17 Bylaw amendment proposed to allow the BOD to boot a BOD member with Board vote.
12/?/17 Mike McDearman resigns from KCBS BOD
1/9/18 KCBS admits the Sam's Tour is no more
1/12/18 WFC announces Walmart as major Sponsor

I'm not a big believer in coincidence.

I dunno it's possible but it's interesting to note that MMA was the controlling partner in the Sam's tour and The Great American BBQ tour. The timeline is interesting as well.
12/13/17 Bylaw amendment proposed to allow the BOD to boot a BOD member with Board vote.

You can Add....

9/23/17 Burnt at Both Endz gets no steak package at regional event

Still madder than hell over that.....:evil:

At some point this year Mike McCloud called in to one of the meetings and requested to speak at the beginning of the meeting. In the background you could hear the sheets splitting. I don't remember the date, but the writing was on the wall.

Back