Safest way to cross-cutt split wood for chunks?

Plethora o' Pecan

lol.

So hey have you cut pecan before? Did the small limbs have all white wood? NO heartwood?
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180340&highlight=pecan

A couple months back, a buddy and I cut this fallen pecan up and brought it home. As you can see, even some of the larger cuts on top of the rack are lighter in color. Even the smaller stuff is light in color. I've used pecan pretty much exclusively for many years because it's abundant here and most times, well, actually all the times I've gotten it.............FREE! Honestly, I don't care if the bark is on or off or about to fall off. I guess my taste buds aren't as sensitive, but I can't tell the difference if I used chunks from the larger stuff or from the smaller limbs.
Pecan also has lots of oil/sap in it during the spring and summer months and will "bleed" if you prune it during the growing season, much like mesquite. SO, the wood tends to be lighter when cut during the colder months when the oil/sap is not out in the wood itself, but more in the roots. During the growing season it's darker because the sap/oil has dispersed throughout the wood/tree itself. At least this is what I have heard, I'm no tree expert. What I do know, is that it's pecan. It's all good. Small stuff. Bigger stuff. Light, dark, even the shells are good for smoking, BUT not the pecan hulls. It's very susceptible to insects when it's alive, more so when it's dead. Wood beetles LOVE the stuff when it's dead and lay their eggs in the stuff. There is probably a thread somewhere in the forum that answers that question too. So, keep the wood away from the house. Those borer beetles are something else! I wouldn't worry about the color of the wood at all. Use it up and you will see. Good to see wood making people so happy!!:becky: Light, dark, thick, thin, long, short, hard (not so much the soft woods though).......wood is good!:thumb:
Preferred method for cutting: Loud chainsaw with a toothy chain OR my granddad's old hand saw. Splitting: Small hatchet with or without a hammer for help, depends on my mood and if I'm too lazy to go find the hammer. Or, I just use the large axe. I've even used a hammer and masonry chisel cause I was too lazy to go find the hatchet.

For ?'s about the pests, go here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75317&highlight=beetles I'm not an expert on insects either! :becky:

More split stuff and color: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41893&highlight=pecan

I've even given others my wood, er pecan: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46815&highlight=pecan

Last edited:
Appreciate this post. It got me to thinking about how much money I waste on chunks. I found a guy who has pecan chunks for $90 per truck bed full. Going tomorrow to check it out since he cuts several different size chunks. Doubt that I could ever use that much but maybe I can get a similar deal on a smaller load.

Appreciate this post. It got me to thinking about how much money I waste on chunks. I found a guy who has pecan chunks for $90 per truck bed full. Going tomorrow to check it out since he cuts several different size chunks. Doubt that I could ever use that much but maybe I can get a similar deal on a smaller load.

For that price, I'd get the whole bed full. Even if you don't use it all in the pit, I get so much of it for free that I use it in the fireplace, fire pit, and I LOVE to grill steaks over a roaring hot bed of pecan coals!! Most times I just burn up a bunch of pecan to make coals and smoke or grill whatever just because I need to get the wood used up before the new batch from the following year comes in. The weather here is dry, so if I don't use it quickly the bugs beat me to it. :thumb:

Like dis: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=150185&highlight=pecan

Yup you can burn down chunks to coals coals. Minion method starting with lit from chunk. Add some to bon fires, smells great.

Here's the corded version of the lopper saw i got...pretty cool imo. I do believe i'll get some good use out of it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHnkndBAIXQ"]Black Decker Alligator Lopper Electric Chain Saw (LP1000).mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

The weather here is dry, so if I don't use it quickly the bugs beat me to it. :thumb:

Would chunks be less of a target for bugs than splits? We are pretty humid in Central Texas so maybe that will help.

Actually, they might be. I started storing chunks in those 5 gallon paint buckets to keep at least some wood critter free. If you use it regular enough, you could probably super size the container to a 55 gallon barrel with a clamp type lid and store more for longer.

I like that looper saw looks fun, please post your full review. I think the best way is a good chain saw, and a stack of logs. Most of all don't worry about what's hard to cut when the piece gets small, just split what's left and count to ten

.. and I LOVE to grill steaks over a roaring hot bed of pecan coals!! Most times I just burn up a bunch of pecan to make coals and smoke or grill whatever just because I need to get the wood used up before the new batch from the following year comes in. The weather here is dry, so if I don't use it quickly the bugs beat me to it.

Thanks! I was just thinking the same thing. I have more wood than I can use in a year (as wood smoking chunks that is), and I want fresh wood each year. I was wondering if I could use it as a fuel source to replace lump charcoal. Looks like I can? But just for open grilling or can I use it for smoking fuel as well?

So for example, can I load up a WSM basket with pecan chunks, get it going, exposed to the air for a while until blackened then use it as lump charcoal? Perhaps I wouldn't need to add fresh wood chunks if smoking since there is probably some unburnt wood in there among all those coals?

This might be more affordable than lump charcoal. I get 10 pound bags for $5.29 each.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180340&highlight=pecan

A couple months back, a buddy and I cut this fallen pecan up and brought it home. As you can see, even some of the larger cuts on top of the rack are lighter in color. Even the smaller stuff is light in color. I've used pecan pretty much exclusively for many years because it's abundant here and most times, well, actually all the times I've gotten it.............FREE! Honestly, I don't care if the bark is on or off or about to fall off. I guess my taste buds aren't as sensitive, but I can't tell the difference if I used chunks from the larger stuff or from the smaller limbs.
Pecan also has lots of oil/sap in it during the spring and summer months and will "bleed" if you prune it during the growing season, much like mesquite. SO, the wood tends to be lighter when cut during the colder months when the oil/sap is not out in the wood itself, but more in the roots. During the growing season it's darker because the sap/oil has dispersed throughout the wood/tree itself. At least this is what I have heard, I'm no tree expert. What I do know, is that it's pecan. It's all good. Small stuff. Bigger stuff. Light, dark, even the shells are good for smoking, BUT not the pecan hulls. It's very susceptible to insects when it's alive, more so when it's dead. Wood beetles LOVE the stuff when it's dead and lay their eggs in the stuff. There is probably a thread somewhere in the forum that answers that question too. So, keep the wood away from the house. Those borer beetles are something else! I wouldn't worry about the color of the wood at all. Use it up and you will see. Good to see wood making people so happy!!:becky: Light, dark, thick, thin, long, short, hard (not so much the soft woods though).......wood is good!:thumb:
Preferred method for cutting: Loud chainsaw with a toothy chain OR my granddad's old hand saw. Splitting: Small hatchet with or without a hammer for help, depends on my mood and if I'm too lazy to go find the hammer. Or, I just use the large axe. I've even used a hammer and masonry chisel cause I was too lazy to go find the hatchet.

For ?'s about the pests, go here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75317&highlight=beetles I'm not an expert on insects either! :becky:

More split stuff and color: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41893&highlight=pecan

I've even given others my wood, er pecan: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46815&highlight=pecan

I really appreciate this post, thank you sooo much! Lots of information! Love it!

I tried to use a chop saw on some post oak I got and that stuff is so hard I couldn't keep it held down and it came back at me. Jammed my thumb pretty good. The blade on the saw is sharp but it's a medium toothed blade. It probably would work better with larger teeth. Anyways, I've resorted to cutting with an old fashioned hand saw for this stuff.

The pecan, hickory, etc is no big deal in the saw. The post oak is just too tough.

Just found a new source of apple and peach on Tues but I needed to find a way to cut it on site (orchard). This post came at the right time. Buying chunks from Home Depot was getting too d@mn expensive. I am concerned with safety issues with chain saw and glad this provided me with other options. thanks everyone.

I tried to use a chop saw on some post oak I got and that stuff is so hard I couldn't keep it held down and it came back at me. Jammed my thumb pretty good. The blade on the saw is sharp but it's a medium toothed blade. It probably would work better with larger teeth. Anyways, I've resorted to cutting with an old fashioned hand saw for this stuff.

The pecan, hickory, etc is no big deal in the saw. The post oak is just too tough.

I was thinking the opposite: more teeth = less potential for kickback

I was thinking the opposite: more teeth = less potential for kickback
Small teeth cut only small pieces, binding the blade in the kirf as the wood shifts. Large teeth cut a wider kirf, which allows the wood to shift as it moves.

Back