Safest way to cross-cutt split wood for chunks?

Here is another post by BD from a few months ago RE: bark...

I only remove bark on small piece that don't need splitting, tree bark is like a fire suit for a tree it requires more heat to ignite. On a split there is no need to as the inner layers light quickly especially if they are pre heated

And if you really want the bark off, there's got to be a better (and more economical) tool for that than your chef's knife. I'd hate for you to dull your knife on a piece of wood.

And if you really want the bark off, there's got to be a better (and more economical) tool for that than your chef's knife. I'd hate for you to dull your knife on a piece of wood.

It's okay, it's still razor sharp and I can bring a butter knife dull chef's knife's edge back to razor sharp fairly easily--I've done it before.

Last edited:
We have a lot of pecan trees in our yard that are always pruning themselves. Anything over 1' in diameter gets cut for the smoker.

Is the wood of your 1" diameter pecan limbs pretty much all white? Reason I ask is, I got small limbs like this (1-4 inches in diameter) and they were pretty much all white inside.. I just wanna make sure this is really pecan I got with the pecan splits.

I hope that isn't a nice blade on the saw. I wouldn't be too pleased if my wife was using my $150 Forrest Chopmaster blade for anything other than it's intended purpose.

Well fortunately it is my miter saw :) The blade is the one that came with it. (The entire miter saw including blade was less than your $150, lol.)

Is there a problem using it on non-dimensional lumber? I don't want to ruin the blade -- I use it mostly for chopping 2 x 4's.

Lots of others here already mention they use their miter saw for cutting firewood as well. But my picture was shared mainly to convey a safety idea.

I have had a chop/miter saw bind and jerk hard enough to break the saw's fence, scared the crap out of me!

I was sober, paying attention, going slowly and carefully too!

I now use a table vise and sawzall, the benchmate would be even better.

I use a splitting maul to process my rounds into splits.
I use a Froe to process splits into 2" round splits.
I use a heavy duty branch lopper to cross-cut the 2" splits to length.

No power tools keeps it safe and it is fairly efficient.

Send me some of your questionable wood and I will try it out.

Would love to have some pecan.

lol.

So hey have you cut pecan before? Did the small limbs have all white wood? NO heartwood?
Nope I haven't cut pecan before. Everything i read on that B&D lopper saw says it cuts through branches up to 4" no problem.

It's basically a little chain saw with the bottom grabber.

Back