THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I made mine in 1997 from a true disc that I filled in the center.

Sort of a lost art these days. We had an older drag harrow that several people tried to buy and someone eventually stole to make fireplace pot holders with. :mad:

Older worn out disc blades often got used to cook oyster fries when I was a young man on the farm.

Didn't know about this one. Intriguing. I have been contemplating a paella burner and pan for some time now. This looks more compact and usable.

That does appear to be a direct knock-off clone.

"Disc" cookers have been around for a long time though so, I'm not really sure what you could "patent" but, you could trademark the name.

patents are weird. look at the PBC. how can you patent a 35 gallon uds with rebar and hanging hooks? basically an invention/idea isn't worth anything until a proprietor makes it so

patents are weird. look at the PBC. how can you patent a 35 gallon uds with rebar and hanging hooks? basically an invention/idea isn't worth anything until a proprietor makes it so

Patents are worthless until successfully defended in court which can cost $$$$$.

Besides that tripe, I like my big outdoor griddle, Blue Rhino razor (or a Blackstone, Camp Chef, ...). For Paella, could be great though.

Reminds me when a custom knifemaker got upset and very vocal about
"everybody knocking his design off and making copies". How do you INVENT and claim sole authorship to a Wharncliffe, a reverse Tanto or, a Sheepsfoot style knife blade? :crazy:

I looked at his knives at a knife show and his grinds were terrible too. Then I understood why he was being shunned by everyone at the show and most of the people who paid to get in.

Patents are worthless until successfully defended in court which can cost $$$$$.

Patents and Trademarks have to be defended to have any real monetary value. That's why many "mom and pop kitchen table startups" do well for a period of time and then go away when WalMart has ocean containers full of the same basic product for 50% of what the original costs.

At $259.00 that would be a hard pass for me. You can get a 24" discada and use a turkey fryer burner and be out the door for about 1/3 third of the cost. Or go with the cast iron wok

https://www.agrisupply.com/images/xxl/85078_3.jpg

https://www.agrisupply.com/20-prese...g0heYpn8E9uj6P6MTjUo49kcM9_XhXywaAnH2EALw_wcB

That Discada is just a bigger version of the disc blade. Where I live they are very common at most Hispanic/Latino grocers and flea/roadside markets.

Now the cast iron wok, that is really a different beast. With its thermal mass and really sloped sides, it cooks differently. Not badly, just different. :wink:

Back