Royal Oak Briquettes... which is better, or are these the same?

When they first introduced this last year at the $8.88 price I went looking on Brickseek and found that none were available. Also never saw it in any stores that I shop at. Looks like my good friend above was the early bird that got the proverbial worm. I wasn't too upset because I had made two big hauls in January 2019 on 35 bags Weber briquettes at $3.90 and 50 boxes Charbroil Center Cut Lump at $4.00. Plus I had several bags of Stumps and Kingsford Blue Bag left over from previous sales.

Looks like I didn't miss out on much. I did notice on of the patriotic RO double bags the other day at the $8.88 price but passed on it.

FInally started in on the Weber. I'll make another post for it with my impressions.

Robert

I stocked up on both as well. Weber is the best briquette out there, imo. (I'm a 95% lump guy.) As for the Center Cut- almost all of the 20 boxes I bought were 90% fines. I was a bit pissed. I literally filled a 25 gal trash barrel with it. But, then I realized it may be perfect for long cooks in the WSM, and it is. The small pieces can stuff the charcoal ring nice and tight.

I stocked up on both as well. Weber is the best briquette out there, imo. (I'm a 95% lump guy.) As for the Center Cut- almost all of the 20 boxes I bought were 90% fines. I was a bit pissed. I literally filled a 25 gal trash barrel with it. But, then I realized it may be perfect for long cooks in the WSM, and it is. The small pieces can stuff the charcoal ring nice and tight.

Pete,

Same experience with the charbroil as far as fines. For me I found if I use two charcoal grates top turned 90 degrees from the bottom that it works very well. I had bought 10 boxes a few years ago when Lowes reduced the price to $11.00. I liked it quite a bit and was very happy to buy at $4.00 a box. However, like you, I think there are more fines than the previous boxes. But it still burns good.

Robert

I have had the best results with KBB on my PBC and also my Humphreys. It always burns consistent and when the deal is right (except this Memorial Day) it can be had for $10 for the big 2 packs.

I bought a ton of the RO Classic Briquettes last year for $4 a bag thinking how bad could it be? Think I bought 15 bags. It does not light well (I can't use just newspaper in the chimney and need a wax starter cube), burns up fast, does not burn as hot, and is ashy. It produces a "lighter fluid" taste sometimes as well. I only use it in my kettle at this point when I'm just grilling chicken, burger, etc. I used it once in the PBC and half the basket didn't even burn. I still have 8 bags left and can't wait to use it up. I've even started using it to light my fire pit.

Maybe the All Natural ones are different, but these suck.

I have had the best results with KBB on my PBC and also my Humphreys. It always burns consistent and when the deal is right (except this Memorial Day) it can be had for $10 for the big 2 packs.

I bought a ton of the RO Classic Briquettes last year for $4 a bag thinking how bad could it be? Think I bought 15 bags. It does not light well (I can't use just newspaper in the chimney and need a wax starter cube), burns up fast, does not burn as hot, and is ashy. It produces a "lighter fluid" taste sometimes as well. I only use it in my kettle at this point when I'm just grilling chicken, burger, etc. I used it once in the PBC and half the basket didn't even burn. I still have 8 bags left and can't wait to use it up. I've even started using it to light my fire pit.

Maybe the All Natural ones are different, but these suck.

Yes...All Natural is different.

I just commented on this same topic in another thread,

the white bag stuff is TERRIBLE. You'll never see so much smoke in your life and the briquettes are gone in no time. Steer clear of it no matter what the price is.

Back