Royal Oak Briquettes... which is better, or are these the same?

thornsbreak

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
McG
Hey guys! Brand new here, and brand new owner of a Pit Barrel Cooker which I've taken for a maiden voyage cooking a pork shoulder, some ribs, a pastrami, some beer brats, and some corn on the cob. Everything but the pastrami turned out world-class (user error on that, I think). Pretty good for an overly ambitious first attempt by a guy who has no idea what he's doing.

I'm on the hunt for the best value fuel for this bbq machine. I was in Walmart and picked up some bags of Royal Oak briquettes. In two versions. The patriotic red white and blue version comes in a two pack of 18 lb bags for $8.88... a total steal if it's any good. The other bag was $7.95 for a 16 lb bag of "All Natural". What's really confusing is that if you read carefully, both bags state that they are 100% all natural. So I'm wondering how these differ, and if you guys have any experience with both of these. I'm tempted to load up on the $8.88 double pack. But not if it sucks! My first cook used the brown bag Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes. Haven't tapped the Premium double bag yet, which also says 100% all natural.

I actually emailed Royal Oak to find out the difference, as well as what differentiates a few other products they make, because I was so confused. Here is the response they sent me:

"Thank you for contacting us. It is always exciting to be included in your grilling experience. Royal Oak specializes in manufacturing charcoal. There is not a difference between the All Natural Hardwood Briquets seen our website and the All Natural Hardwood Briquets seen in Walmart stores. Walmart is running a "Patriotic" promotional campaign with the product this summer. This is the reason for the red, white and blue bags. The Royal Oak Premium Ridge has been discontinued which is why it's no longer featured on our website. However, Royal Oak Chef's Select is currently on our website under Restaurant products as this is mainly sold to restaurant owners. https://www.royaloak.com/product-category/restaurant-products/."

So what is your experience with these products? Any PBC owners care to comment on their performance vs other charcoal you like or prefer? Anyone used both and know if they perform the same?

I really appreciate your experience and insight! If you think these suck, what do you prefer, especially for PBC cooking?

Attachments

• Royal Oak.jpg
    Royal Oak.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
"100% All Natural" is a completely meaningless marketing term concocted by people who lie for a living. Atoms are natural. For the most part I like Royal Oak products. Watch for sales which tend to cluster around outdoor related holidays.

Welcome to the group.

I don't know exactly what the differences are, but I have tried both in my kettle and drum and over various types of cooks and conditions and it was very noticeable that the white bag briquettes burned up faster and left a lot more ash behind. No clue the science behind it, but I only use the bag you have on the left and B&B now. Also, I'm not far from you, just in Wilmington. Check out Academy for some B&B. You'll find the bags are slightly different sizes...RO vs B&B but the price is just pennies apart for the same amount.

Big time RO fan here. I also am not sure the exact differences between these two bags, but when I use briquettes I use the ones on the left. I have also used Chef's Select and like them as well.

They are fantastic, and my favorite briquettes that I've found (I've used Kingsford Blue and Competition, B&B, Weber, and some other cheaper brands), and these seem to burn the best with the least amount of ash. If you are briquette guy, go with those. I also really like the RO lump, and the XL lump.

That said, let me know what you think of the patriotic bag. Curious your thoughts after you've tried them!

The All Natural (from what I understand) are the same blend as Chef Select (just a slightly different size?).

Premium is just their regular RO briquette. They went from the red bag to the Red, White, Blue in hopes of stealing some market share from Kingsford.

I have used both extensively. All Natural is quicker to light, gets hotter, smells better. I keep the Premium around too because it is a great deal.

Using the All Natural as we speak, fired up the LSG at 10p last night and 9 hours later at 200-225 I'm half way through a bag. No chemical smell, just the wood and clean smoke.

I've used the Kingsford Professional too, seem similar to these. Anyone else compared the two?

I don't know exactly what the differences are, but I have tried both in my kettle and drum and over various types of cooks and conditions and it was very noticeable that the white bag briquettes burned up faster and left a lot more ash behind. No clue the science behind it, but I only use the bag you have on the left and B&B now. Also, I'm not far from you, just in Wilmington. Check out Academy for some B&B. You'll find the bags are slightly different sizes...RO vs B&B but the price is just pennies apart for the same amount.

Totally agree. I bought a million of the white bags last year because walmart was selling them like 2 18lb bags for $6. It is terrible...and I am in know way a BBQ snob...I will use whatever is on sale...except that Royal Oak white and blue bag form now on :)!

Totally agree. I bought a million of the white bags last year because walmart was selling them like 2 18lb bags for $6. It is terrible...and I am in know way a BBQ snob...I will use whatever is on sale...except that Royal Oak white and blue bag form now on :)!

If it's fully lit for grilling burgers and dogs it isn't bad. I don't run white bag in my WSM. Picked up another 4 bags of All Natural last night.

Hey, hello neighbor! Funny you mention it, I just went to Academy Sports specifically to pick up some B&B yesterday, after an internet tip-off that you could get it for $9 a bag there. I've heard it's good stuff, but haven't used any yet.

You partial to any of the bbq restaurants in our area? I haven't been bowled over yet, but haven't visited them all. I do really like one in Southport, though I forgot the name, and there used to be one in Leland that I liked but it closed shortly after I moved to the area in 2016. Decided I'd better just take matters into my own hands in my own back yard :)

Bummer, looks like the consensus is that the patriotic bag is not the same stuff as the brown bag, and burns faster with more ash. It's especially disappointing because their customer service basically told me they're the exact same thing. I was hoping I was looking at the screaming deal of the summer, because the brown bag performed just fine on my first run, burning for 8 hours in the PBC at temps between 250 and 300F.

I bought several of the double packs, so I will report back with my own experience when I get around to using some.

Sounds like it might be a better choice for grilling rather than smoking.

Anyone have a different experience and manage to get a good smoking session out of the white bag ones?

I bought a bunch of the white bag stuff last year and somewhat sorry I did. It's fine for establishing a coal bed in the smoker however in my PK360 it does not seem to burn nearly as hot as the Kingsford Blue Bag or Professional.

Bummer, looks like the consensus is that the patriotic bag is not the same stuff as the brown bag, and burns faster with more ash. It's especially disappointing because their customer service basically told me they're the exact same thing. I was hoping I was looking at the screaming deal of the summer, because the brown bag performed just fine on my first run, burning for 8 hours in the PBC at temps between 250 and 300F.

I bought several of the double packs, so I will report back with my own experience when I get around to using some.

Sounds like it might be a better choice for grilling rather than smoking.

Anyone have a different experience and manage to get a good smoking session out of the white bag ones?

All my cooks turned out fine...I literally used probably 50 bags of it in the last 9 months. I have to use more, it doesn't get as hot (so I use more), and the ash is insane (which bothers me less than the average person, but the thing is you have to use so much it actually becomes a problem). There is nothing wrong with the final product, but there is a reason it is so cheap. I have used it in my PK and basically the same experience. Does not put off as much heat as it should so I use more. I kind of think of it like Gasoline...this stuff would be like 65 Octane...it works but you will be filling up sooner rather than later.

This sums it up.
The stuff is useless in a minion or a low and slow cook.

It seems that Royal Oak has lowered their standards just to get their products into WalMart...So sad.

Walmart does that to a lot of companies /products...not sure Royal Oak deserves too much blame. If Walmart comes to you with a PO for 20 million bags but they want those bags to cost them $2 you find a way to do it.

Walmart does that to a lot of companies /products...not sure Royal Oak deserves too much blame. If Walmart comes to you with a PO for 20 million bags but they want those bags to cost them $2 you find a way to do it.

Totally agree. If you want cheap, the savings have to come from somewhere when margins are already pretty thin.

Walmart is starting its own dairy to get cheaper milk which is already way under the cost of production. I'm not sure how that makes any sense unless they are getting the same government subsidies as foreign-owned dairies.

Corporate farms and monoculture farming are done for government leverage for questionable policy reasons and lobbyists to get even larger subsidies. The family farm is long gone in any practical sense due to this titanic shift to corporate farming and ranching with significant foreign ownership.

The same is true with a lot of smokers. When two look superficially the same with a big cost discrepancy, the first thing I do is look at their weights. Internal steel you don't see is easy to thin out or simply remove and save costs which often results in an inferior performance in the end-users hands.

Just thought I'd report back for anyone who's interested.

I used the patriotic cheapie bag (2 for $8.88) today for a Memorial Day Alabama white bbq chicken and beer brats cook. Also made some corn on the cob and hung some asparagus in the cage basket.

Normal "dosage" of charcoal in my pit barrel cooker. Lit just fine, and ran at 325-350 for about 5 hours. I kept the ambient probe in the cooker after I pulled all the goodies out, so I can say this kept the temp at 300+ for a little over 5 hours. At that point I saw temps start to drop, and went and looked... mostly ash with a few small coals still going.

I imagine this would last a few more hours if I ran at 225-250 the whole time.

As for amount of ash... I don't have enough experience to comment or compare to other brands yet.

Definitely worked for my purposes in the PBC today. Definitely good for short to mid length cooks... chicken, ribs, etc. Not sure it would last long enough for a pork shoulder... but I ran at a much higher temp than that would, so more testing required.

On the whole, I'm very pleased with the performance for the price in this cook. Great value for short to medium cooks at moderate temp. It would be a waste to use more expensive charcoal for that. This can do 5 hours at 325+, and I'd guess could go 7-8 hours at 225 or 250. I do want to test how long it goes at a lower temp. But it's probably worth going with a different brand for your brisket and pork shoulders. Otherwise plan to refuel for sure.

When they first introduced this last year at the $8.88 price I went looking on Brickseek and found that none were available. Also never saw it in any stores that I shop at. Looks like my good friend above was the early bird that got the proverbial worm. I wasn't too upset because I had made two big hauls in January 2019 on 35 bags Weber briquettes at $3.90 and 50 boxes Charbroil Center Cut Lump at $4.00. Plus I had several bags of Stumps and Kingsford Blue Bag left over from previous sales.

Looks like I didn't miss out on much. I did notice on of the patriotic RO double bags the other day at the $8.88 price but passed on it.

FInally started in on the Weber. I'll make another post for it with my impressions.

Robert

Hey, hello neighbor! Funny you mention it, I just went to Academy Sports specifically to pick up some B&B yesterday, after an internet tip-off that you could get it for $9 a bag there. I've heard it's good stuff, but haven't used any yet.

You partial to any of the bbq restaurants in our area? I haven't been bowled over yet, but haven't visited them all. I do really like one in Southport, though I forgot the name, and there used to be one in Leland that I liked but it closed shortly after I moved to the area in 2016. Decided I'd better just take matters into my own hands in my own back yard :)

You'll do better in your own backyard. Southern Smoke up in Garland is worth the day trip though.

Back