'rona cooking - pic heavy

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Been doing a lot of grilling lately now that the weather is nice and aside from working, there's not much else to do....gotta eat after all! Haven't really posted any cooks so we get one rona mega cooking thread. :clap2:

I got inspired by WilliamKY's turkey wing cook thread and found some of my own to do....these were whole wing sections, so drummies too . I mainly like the flats when it comes to turkey wings but they ate alright - Oakridge BBQ Jah Love and Naturiffic Harvest Brine. I thought some giant "wings" required a giant grill.

Next up is cheeseburgers using a variety of trimmings from a whole beef tenderloin, prime ribeye roast I cut into steaks, and a small chuck roast. Probably 30% tenderloin, 20% ribeye, and 50% chuck. They were delish :thumb: and the shredded lettuce :clap2:

The Costco Kirland brand kettle fried potato chips @ $3.50/bigarse bag are the best deal around

Bonus pic of the ribeye steaks I cut from the bone-in roast that the trimmings came from...the marbling on these is real nice :thumb:

Another day we did filet mignon from the whole tenderloin I broke down - USDA Choice angus beef @ $7/lb. I really like buying the whole tenderloin and breaking it down myself, get a lot of nice meat for burger grind, a couple roasts, and 8-10 filets. Filet and crescent rolls is my daughter's favorite meal, so it's always a favorite for dad to cook. :redface:

0 to 500* in 15-20 minutes

Did shrimp skewers a couple times recently as a change of pace. The first round I did with Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime and one skewer of Crucible for me.....they were hot. Not a lot to detract from the heat when it comes to shrimp. Very tasty though if you like the heat, ghost peppers have a nice flavor. Zucchini skewers hit with Naturiffic Q Salt.

Did another round with a Smokey Chili Lime / olive oil marinade for shrimp tacos. Whipped up a bowl of jalapeno slaw to top them with, it makes for a great combo. More zucchini + Q Salt.

And last but not least.....Slotdogs! I saw this device a while ago and was skeptical, but liked the idea. After seeing a few more pics recently I stopped by the hardware store and picked one up. I'm still trying to get the scoring procedure down, it's not hard but I think there's some finesse to achieve what I'm after. Regardless, it adds more surface area to caramelize and get all flavorful and crisyp, and I've really enjoyed the results....I always liked hotdogs but....they're just hotdogs. The Slotdog really takes it up a notch and I'm looking forward to future tasty experiments :thumb:

That's all I got for now, thanks for looking :clap2:

Actually one more but not food - there was a flyover of KC area hospitals by some Whiteman AFB jets so we went out and position ourselves right in the flight path a little down the road. I can see the B-2 a thousand times and never get tired of it. I’m thankful that I do get to see it several times a year due to my proximity to its nest.

Last edited:
I don’t know what to say, as soon as I saw the ranch kettle I knew this was gonna be good, you were a busy cat.
Excellent mouth watering cook er cooks!!!

I was looking for an excuse to roll it out...no legitimate reason when it’s just a handful of people...I’m ready to cook for 20-30 on it again :thumb:

I did buy the largest Vortex for it last year and never used it...the one I use in my 22” kettle just isn’t big enough for a 37” kettle, this one worked much better. It could probably fit 1.5 full chimneys of charcoal in it.

Well you have kept busy, that all looks tasty delicious.
That fighter would be thrilling to see I reckon

Been doing a lot of grilling lately now that the weather is nice and aside from working, there's not much else to do....gotta eat after all! Haven't really posted any cooks so we get one rona mega cooking thread. :clap2:

Awesome cook, Neal! Everything looked fantastic!!

Did shrimp skewers a couple times recently as a change of pace. The first round I did with Oakridge BBQ Smokey Chile Lime and one skewer of Crucible for me.....they were hot. Not a lot to detract from the heat when it comes to shrimp. Very tasty though if you like the heat, ghost peppers have a nice flavor. Zucchini skewers hit with Naturiffic Q Salt.

On a side note, if any of you ever wonder why I only use high barrier stand-up bags and NEVER spice shaker bottles for my rubs?? That pic right up there is exactly why... That bag of Crucible is at least 4 years old... The ONLY way to keep rubs fresh for that long is the packaging we use. :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:
On a side note, any of you ever wonder why I only use high barrier stand-up bags and NEVER spice shaker bottles for my rubs?? That pic right up there is exactly why... That bag of Crucible is at least 4 years old... The ONLY way to keep rubs fresh for that long is the packaging we use. :thumb::thumb:

I have not treated it well either, it's been in a disorganized drawer of rubs and other cooking supplies piled next to or on top of it :icon_blush: but it has held up well despite my efforts otherwise :thumb:

Suds,

You have been a busy man indeed. Those burgers look fantastic! I just picked up a grinder and can't wait to start messing around. Again, nice looking grub there sir!

Thanks
Greg

Back