Rice Paper Shrimp Dumplings on the Blackstone

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
A few weeks back Chef John posted a Chicken Salad Summer Roll video which looked good. Rather than making chicken salad, I grilled some chicken, pulled it and assembled the rolls with matchstick carrots, avocado, grilled red pepper and shredded lettuce. I'd never previously used rice paper and it turned out to be a great lunch.

I have two packs of rice paper and amazingly a recipe popped up this morning in my newsfeed for Rice Paper Dumplings (I swear Big Brother is watching). These looked great, with the exception of the tofu filling. I substituted cooked rice. And rather than an all veggie dumpling, I added shrimp.

The recipe calls for shredded cabbage, carrot, green onion, ginger, garlic and the tofu for the filling. Sorry, just not doing tofu. They're wrapped in rice paper and pan fried. The recipe is here:

https://okonomikitchen.com/rice-paper-dumplings/

Here's my take on it:

Shredded Cabbage (bagged coleslaw)
Finely Diced Carrots
Finely Diced Celery
Finely Diced Red Pepper
Sticky Rice
Diced Cooked Shrimp
Grated Ginger

And rather than pan frying, I'm doing it all on the Blackstone. Let's see how this goes for a first time trying a recipe which I'm adapting.

Shrimp, diced peppers, celery, carrots and rice were given a head start on the griddle, followed by the coleslaw mix. These won't take long -

eCoSHrU.jpg

Once everything was warmed through, I brought it inside. We seasoned it with a touch of soy sauce as it was a tad bland.

My wife was in charge of soaking the rice paper (10 seconds or so), blotted each one dry and I proceeded to fill them. These go easier than wonton wrappers as they stick together nicely (sometimes, too nicely. Grrr! It helps to have an assistant. But once you get the hang of them...)

Fold down over the filling, fold both sides in, fold bottom up to make a packet -

ShbfmRN.jpg

Wrap it once more in another circle of rice paper with the seam on the opposite side. This doubles up the outer layer, hopefully will prevent them from splitting open.

We made 10, here they are out on the Blackstone. I used Duck Fat for my cooking oil, seemed to work out fine. The challenge here is how well will they turn out as opposed to pan frying? We shall see -

Bl3UC16.jpg

Turned them occasionally, steamed them for a bit and used a bit more Duck Fat spray every so often -

yyQvloc.jpg

They're getting crispy and looking pretty good. I had two break open but it was no huge deal -

b75PhBn.jpg

czkjAkQ.jpg

We're ready to eat! Let's see how we did.

VzH0DJn.jpg

Served with some Thai Chili Sauce for dipping -

4Q9Qo3o.jpg

Gotta slice one open -

1xFmfR7.jpg

pDX0lKa.jpg

For a first time experiment, these turned out incredibly good! The wrapper was quite crisp, the filling was egg roll like and the taste was outstanding. Once they cooled a bit they could be held in the hand like an egg roll.

Next time - more shrimp.

There you have it. Dom's take on Rice Paper Dumplings prepared on the Blackstone. Fun to make (once you get the production line set up and master the rice paper wetting), even more fun to eat!

Obviously you could fill these with almost anything. I had thoughts of using Kielbasa but the Mrs said that was pushing it. :tongue:

Thanks for following along on what was an interesting experiment in my backyard and a delicious midweek dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

Those look outstanding Dom. Looks like I got another thing on my list to try. Now I am jonesing for some stir-fired rice on the blackstone too.

Great looking cook, you educate while I salivate! You certainly tackle a lot more different recipes than I would ever think to. Nicely done!

Very nice, great use of the flatplate.they look delicious
we use rice paper for rolls a lot.especially thru summer.
Pork belly is a great ingrediant if your ever inclined, so is Vietnamese cabbage salad

Last edited:
Back