Firebox to cook chamber opening question

Misterwaterfallin

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Mathew
On every calculator and picture that I can find, if has the opening from the firebox to the cook chamber on the back of the firebox, as seen in the picture below. I am making a smoker out of a tank, and the firebox will actually sit inset as I had to notch the rounded bottom of the tank to marry the firebox to the tank. I’m thinking of cutting the opening between the two on top of the firebox so the smoke and heat is forced vertically, not horizontally. My hope is that this would create a small hot spot.

Is there any reason why I shouldn’t do this?

Attachments

• D2949049-6E40-4018-967C-37CD5867C692.jpg
    D2949049-6E40-4018-967C-37CD5867C692.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 168
Not a builder, but I do "tinker". I wonder how far you'd have to inset the firebox into the smoker to accommodate the radius of your opening. There might be question of how well it would draft and how the hot air would travel thru the cook chamber.

Of all the proposed builds I've seen here, this might be the first one asking your question. Hopefully a real builder will be along who has more real experience.

good luck

Not a builder, but I do "tinker". I wonder how far you'd have to inset the firebox into the smoker to accommodate the radius of your opening. There might be question of how well it would draft and how the hot air would travel thru the cook chamber.

Of all the proposed builds I've seen here, this might be the first one asking your question. Hopefully a real builder will be along who has more real experience.

good luck

Thanks for the feedback. I may just give it a try and see how it goes. Worse case I can just weld it up and do the typical style opening.

Normally the goal is to provide uniform temperatures across your cooking chamber. If you have a hole above your fire, that end would be hotter for sure. Where will your stack go?

Why deliberately introduce a hot spot?

Thanks for the help guys, below is a crude drawing of what Im talking about and my potential setup. My goal here is to direct heat around the grate, and make it so the area at the front of the chamber isn't a massive hot spot

Attachments

• smoker mock up.jpg
    smoker mock up.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 38
Back