THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think the question of how many and how large should also consider how you intend to rack the cooker, and how you cook. If you are doing a single rack, you have the option of locating it at great height off the end, or higher up. If you are going to have two racks, you will want the exhaust to come in at the same height as the upper rack. I know that some like to come off the end cap, others like to come off the cook chamber barrel, I have no proof, but, have always felt coming off the end made more sense for air flow.

Nice job!!
You seem to be making some pretty good progress. And the plasma cutter seems to be doing a good job.

What is recommended on the inside of the firebox door to keep it from warping from heat? Just a square frame welded the door a little smaller than the opening or a x pattern or both. I plan on making 2 vents for air intake to the firebox using 3" pipe caps can they be put in the door like the old style wood stoves or do they need to be below the fire like I have seen on other smokers. I might be a little limited on space below the door

Does anyone know how big the opening at the end of reverse flow plate should be.. Sorry for all the questions just trying to get some info rounded up from some of you guys that have built these when I get to those phases of the build..... Thanks in advance for any advice

For a flat firebox door, I like a frame and an "X" pattern of either square tubing or solid square rod, 3/4" or 1".

Intakes at or below the fire best, but not essential.

Try an get the opening at the end of the RF plate at least the same area as the opening between the firebox and cook chamber, maybe a little larger. Given your tank diameter a few inches should be plenty.

You build is coming along nicely, looking really good. :thumb:

I got the firebox door cut out and a frame tacked on.... Had to break out the old trusty miller buzzbox welder because I ran out of gas for my mig welder

Last edited:
Nice job but I could make one just like that if I had the tools, materials, skills, creativity and work ethic that you have! Just saying'.

Forgot to mention this is a very low budget build I'm at a total of $5 for the bolts I put in the hinges... Everything else I have got from the scrap pile at work. If everything works out right I should only have to buy a couple more bolts and 2 temp gauges for the cook chamber

Got a little bit more done on the firebox today. I cut out the vents in the firebox door. I made dampers using pipe that I capped and a bolt will get welded to the firebox door and go through the dampers with a nut welded to the damper so that it can be spun in or out. I also made some hinges with angle iron and flat bar. I still need to drill the holes and put bolts in the hinges and dampers.

Last edited:
This is quite a process fabricating all of my own parts for the firebox getting closer to being done with it. I just need to weld a washer on the handle inside and outside of the door and a tapered catch in the firebox and a piece of flat bar on the end of the handle that will go to the catch

Last edited:
Nice, that boy is gonna be good and air tight. You close er up that fire's going out.
and it looks like it's gonna breath good too.

Lookin good, keep us posted with pics!

Do you guys think that the trim I put on the firebox door will strengthen it enough so it won't warp from heat? It's AR steel if that makes any difference

Back