Recteq Bullseye Deluxe

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
Sammy
Got completely blindsided to receive this as a Christmas gift today. Wasn't familiar with it at all, but it appears to be a small pellet grill with high temp capabilities. Anyone here have experience with this? Any tips or concerns about it that I should be aware of?

The early Recteqs had issues with rust. This is a new model and I see it is stainless and also gets up to 750*. I know the people who have Recteqs love them. This looks really really nice!

Congratulations! It's a grill - it can smoke smaller pieces of meat, I'd say 10 lbs or less. Too big and it misses the drip pan, catches fire and ruins your meal. On another forum, guy tried for Christmas brisket, not sure what the family ended up eating but the 15lb brisket (after trim) did not make it thru the night. And except to prove it can - there's pretty much never a need to take it up to full blast.
Oh! And the app will likely NOT give you any notifications on busy weekends/holidays. Their server gets overwhelmed and notifications just stop happening. If you don't have it already a great complement to your grill is a thermoworks or other nice remote thermometer. I use a TW Smoke. Pretty cheap/simple.
It seems like I gave you just the lowlights - but you can be totally happy with it if you know what it's shortcomings are and play to its strengths like steak, pizza, etc...
I'd like to own one eventually, but two webers and a huge stockpile of charcoal are keeping me from making that purchase.
Good Luck!

btw: I have a 1070.

Congratulations! It's a grill - it can smoke smaller pieces of meat, I'd say 10 lbs or less. Too big and it misses the drip pan, catches fire and ruins your meal. On another forum, guy tried for Christmas brisket, not sure what the family ended up eating but the 15lb brisket (after trim) did not make it thru the night. And except to prove it can - there's pretty much never a need to take it up to full blast.
Oh! And the app will likely NOT give you any notifications on busy weekends/holidays. Their server gets overwhelmed and notifications just stop happening. If you don't have it already a great complement to your grill is a thermoworks or other nice remote thermometer. I use a TW Smoke. Pretty cheap/simple.
It seems like I gave you just the lowlights - but you can be totally happy with it if you know what it's shortcomings are and play to its strengths like steak, pizza, etc...
I'd like to own one eventually, but two webers and a huge stockpile of charcoal are keeping me from making that purchase.
Good Luck!

btw: I have a 1070.
This sounds pretty good to me. I cook steak multiple times per week and even though I am only cooking for myself I still go through a bag of cheap briquettes weekly. Probably end up using it the way many people use gassers for weeknight easy cooks.

I have the normal Bullseye and it has issues but overall has been a really good grill for me. I have a Youtube Channel with several cooks using it.

www.mikebowerstv.com

I actually came across your channel last night while researching what this grill is all about. Sorry that the 380X didn't work out for you. Hope I don't have the same experience, but since mine was a gift it won't sting as bad if it doesn't live up to the hefty price tag.

Grill got used last night to sear off tenderloins for Christmas dinner and it made it's way to my house this afternoon. Within 30 minutes of arrival it was up to 500 and had a steak on. Definitely lacked in color compared to the PK that I always use, but the flavor was good. Should be fun to play around with and try to get it dialed in for regular use.

I got one this past spring and we use it a lot! It's really convenient on week-nights. It's great for chicken @ 375f for crisp skin. I've done a couple of turkeys @ 325f and they turned out great. Done ribs, brisket, and pork butts @ 225f. I've seen folks complain of various issues with temp control, but I have not had issues. Gets up to temp quickly and mine stays pretty constant.
One thing that's important - it must be cleaned out every few cooks, and especially after cooking something with lots of grease like a pork butt. There are no drain holes in the bottom of the chamber and grease residue will dry and collect. If you don't clean that out every 2 or 3 cooks you will get a really spectacular grease fire.

Reqtec makes a very reliable controller. Probably the best on the market. I would love this pellet fueled "Grill" just for steaks. But i just can't justify a high heat grill for $800. I have a Mr Steak 1000F grill i got for $350 and a Big Horn 1500F Salamander for $100 on sale from Menards.
EDIT: big Horn is on sale on Amazon for $170, its way worth it. I browned a 4lb Prime Rib roast in like 5 minutes total for xmas this year. It was so quick it didnt even jump the internal temp. I had to put it back in oven to finish at 132F.
https://www.amazon.com/BIG-HORN-OUTDOORS-Portable-Stainless/dp/B089Y1HXSF

Last edited:
I love my Bullseye Deluxe. I added the OnlyFire vertical extension (see Tom Horsman Youtube videos), which greatly improves your ability to smoke as well as high-heat grilling.

Mine gets close to the advertised 1,000 degrees and will put a nice sear on burgers and steaks. Really convenient for weeknight cooks, and is a very capable smoker if you add the OnlyFire.

Like my RecTeq 1250 the build quality and support are exceptional for the price.

I hope you enjoy the grill as you get used to it's features.

I forgot to mention that I also have a rotisserie ring from an old Weber that fits the Bullseye. With a few accessories, it is very versatile.

I have the Weber rotisserie setup and may have to give that a shot. I went ahead and ordered the "beefy" grill grate from BPS as my only upgrade so far. Although the stock grate is SS, it is a little skinny for my tastes.

Back