Portable grill for camping

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
We bought an RV this year, so I've been grilling a lot on park grills at campgrounds. However, almost all of the RV parks we've stayed at did not have grills at the sites. I've started bringing my SNS 18" travel kettle, but there's been a few times it wasn't big enough. And then I got a RecTeq Road Warrior, but it's a pellet grill so more of smoker than a grill. Is there a 22" kettle with the base like the Jumbo Joe/Smokey Joe? I always see the Americana Walk-a-bout that folds up at Walmart, but they have to be junk for $64... right?

Why do you need a table top type grill? Wouldn't a regular kettle do the trick?

The bed of my truck is usually full of bikes and a bunch of other crap the kids want me to bring. A regular kettle won't fit in the storage compartment of the RV, so I'd have to take the legs off and put them back on every trip.

I made removable legs for one of my 22's.
I had some heavy wall 1.25" aluminum tube that fit over the leg mounts.
Everything pulls apart for storage and travel.
It's been to 11 states so far.

You wouldn't have a picture of that, would you? I wouldn't mind having legs that come off on a kettle if it's quick and easy.

I made removable legs for one of my 22's.
I had some heavy wall 1.25" aluminum tube that fit over the leg mounts.
Everything pulls apart for storage and travel.
It's been to 11 states so far.
Took the 22 OTS camping all the time. Didn't have to do anything special with the legs. The stock legs come off the kettle easy and fold down over the base wire rack with the wheels. Laid the cooking and charcoal grate on a tarp first, then the base with the legs, then the kettle with the lid upside-down in the kettle. Wrap with the rest of the tarp.

After thinking about it, I haven't looked at newer kettles (except Performers) in forever and don't know how the legs attach now. My OTS is a code H, manufactured in 1986. The legs are a bit loosey-goosey fitting into the brackets on the bottom of the kettle. Maybe newer ones are tighter/differently constructed and more of a PITA to breakdown for travel.

You can shorten the legs by using this curtain rod https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...ilders-Shower-Rod-in-Chrome-HD14016/205699635
from Home depot and cutting to your desired size - it fits perfectly. The legs will stay snug or you can put a screw into it if you want. Also get some 1" rubber end caps for the legs from Home Depot and you're good to go. I did this on a 18" Kettle and it worked great. Here's my 18" Kettle shortened legs.
IMG_20230628_195242062-min.jpg

I'll take some pictures for you Josh.

Erik, the newer kettles legs press into the bosses.
Once inserted, they don't want to come out.
I get it, now :wink:

The old loose legs were cool. Could either build up or breakdown the kettle in a couple minutes...was beautiful as a full size camp grill. Had to be careful moving it on the ground when assembled so one or more of the legs didn't come out of the kettle brackets...one hand on the lid handle and the other grasping the front leg kept it all together.

No idea when Weber tightened up the leg fit but guessing any Weber with a single letter would have the loose legs.

You can shorten the legs by using this curtain rod https://www.homedepot.com/p/Glacier...ilders-Shower-Rod-in-Chrome-HD14016/205699635
from Home depot and cutting to your desired size - it fits perfectly. The legs will stay snug or you can put a screw into it if you want. Also get some 1" rubber end caps for the legs from Home Depot and you're good to go. I did this on a 18" Kettle and it worked great. Here's my 18" Kettle shortened legs.
View attachment 208205

That is the ticket right there

Killa,

Don't know what you have for a set up on your trailer, but the last one I had had a cargo tray on the back bumper that could be pulled out and used to haul things. If you don't have that, you could put a bolt on hitch and receiver mount cargo rack to carry things like a Weber Kettle. YMMV.........

View attachment 208205

I forgot to get pictures when I put our camping gear away this morning, but that is basically what I did, except the tube I used went over the bosses.
I made mine longer than the originals to save my back.
I added eyebolts midway of the legs for a small chain to keep the legs from spreading and also support the ash pan.

EDIT: My EDK is a 2004, with the easy removable legs.
I got tired of them removing themselves every time I picked it up and screwed them in place.
The newer Collapsible Camp Kettle is from around 10 years ago.
I had a hell of a time getting the legs out of it the first time we took it on vacation.
No way to get it under the tonneau cover with the legs attached.

Last edited:
View attachment 208205
Depending on grill space wanted/needed, 18 works well. The Jumbo Joe is 18...a squatier version of what you constructed. Very portable and self-contained...nothing to disassemble/reassemble. The bent rod holding the lid down for transport also serves as a bail to hold the lid when opening/in use. Owned many Weber products. The JJ has become my favorite of all of them.

I bought a 18” jj that I like a lot, the $64 fold up gill works well, I used 1 for several years till I bought a Weber performer, gave it to my sister and she still uses it 12 years later but its not every week like I do

We have owned an RV and been camping for the last 4-5 years and have been in the same situation - lots of stuff in the back of the pick-up and little room left for storage/grills. Additionally, light weight is good. I've taken my Kamado Joe Jr., 18" smokey Mountain, 22" kettle, a camp chef portable pellet, but ultimately have decided my favorite is the PK go. It is small, but like the included second grate and stand to make the lid a second grill and double space. I've smoked a pork shoulder and it came out really good as well. Anyway, it is pricey (can be found on sale for ~$330), but it has checked a lot of boxes for portability, versatility and quality for me.

Back