Recommendations for great Q joint(s) in Memphis

Earlier I mention the gal that runs "Central BBQ" was on the show Pitmasters. That's incorrect, I was thinking of Melissa's place "Memphis BBQ Company".

About 20 minutes south of Memphis in Horn Lake MS is Melissa Cookstons Memphis BBQ Cmpany. Kind of a fancy urbann BBQ theme restaurant but we really enjoyed the Q

http://memphisbbqco.com/

I haven't been yet, but I've heard good things about the place.

A&R on Elvis Presley used to be good too, but I haven't been in awhile. Another that I used to like was Three Little Pigs. Haven't been since they moved from the Highland Strip to Quince Rd. Both are worth a shot though, I'd think.

Cozy Corner is a good place. The BBQ Shoppe on Madison is fairly decent too. Cental on Summer outright sucks. The one on Central can be good though. Again, it's been some years. Unfortunately, Willingham's has been gone for years now, and John himself passed away. I really no longer go to barbecue shops in Memphis though. Places to avoid are Corky's and anything attached to the Neely name. As said, the Rendezvous is not BBQ, and the ribs are not to my liking one little bit. I've never had the pulled pork there, as I haven't been back since the first time I ever went a couple decades ago and it hasn't changed. The waiters are there to get you served, and get you out as quickly as possible, as some of them approach 100K in salary/tips a year, and their livelihood depends on shooing you away, so don't take it as them being rude if they seem a little abrupt. There's also a little hole in the wall on Lamar Ave, that I forget the name of that wasn't bad either. The best places in Memphis are the little neighborhood joints that get no attention from the outside, much like anywhere else in the country. Some of which you don't want to visit after dark if you don't know and aren't comfortable with Memphis. Some, you don't want to visit after dark even if you DO know and ARE comfortable with Memphis. Also, never leave ANYTHING of value in your hotel room, or visible in your car.

Anybody been to Bozo's in Mason recently? It used to be pretty decent as well. Plus, the original Gus's Fried Chicken is REAL close. I mean, CLOSE close. Both are on HWY 70, which is what Summer Avenue becomes. About 30 miles from East Memphis.

There's also a little hole in the wall on Lamar Ave, that I forget the name of that wasn't bad either.

You must be talking about Payne's. I haven't been there in years, and I wasn't that crazy about it. It's mostly a sandwich takeout place. I'm not even sure they have any tables, and I don't think they serve ribs.

Do not go there unarmed, day or night.

Anybody been to Bozo's in Mason recently? It used to be pretty decent as well.

I was there a couple of years ago, and it was pretty bad. I wouldn't stop to eat there now if I was driving by the place, much less drive 30 miles out of town for it.

There is no need to drive to Gus's in Mason anymore, either, because there are several locations around Memphis now, including downtown. The place in Mason used to run out of chicken about 4:00 in the afternoon and close the doors. Perhaps understandable for a BBQ joint (which is debatable) but never for a chicken shack like Gus's. Heck, just cook more chicken if you run out! :roll: The Memphis locations don't run out.

Good to know about Bozo's. Another place I haven't been to in way over 10 years, probably closer to 20 now. Glad I asked.

You must be talking about Payne's. I haven't been there in years, and I wasn't that crazy about it. It's mostly a sandwich takeout place. I'm not even sure they have any tables, and I don't think they serve ribs.

Do not go there unarmed, day or night.

Yep. Think that's the one. They have a few tables, or used to. Kinda like the original Molly's La Casita before it moved to Madison. Still, I wouldn't consider the neighborhood that bad yet. During daylight hours. Then again, I'm comfortable living in Nutbush, which most reasonable folks that don't know the area might avoid, so...

Back