Tried a newish BBQ joint in the Prescott, AZ area

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Not too long ago, a place called Montana BBQ Company moved to the area. I understand they were somewhere else in the area, and just moved to their current location. We tried the place yesterday for lunch.

Their Website

My wife and I tried the Bar-BQ Sampler Plate - which was $20, versus the $15 the menu on their website shows.

For that we got a chicken thigh, two small ribs, and a pulled pork sandwich, along with a helping of coleslaw. My wife also ordered a side of mac and cheese. We asked for both sweet and spicy sauces.

Starting with the good - nothing we tried was great.

The mac and cheese was decent, nice and cheesy and sharp. The coleslaw was good. It was a vinegar style coleslaw, rather than a mayonnaise style. It was tangy without being over-powering. I enjoyed it.

You might see where this is going when the first two things mentioned are the sides.

The ok/decent

The ribs were decent. They were nice and smoky, and pulled off the bone nicely without falling off.

The chicken was ok, not great. The skin was smoky, the rest of the chicken not so much. It tasted good, but I could have gotten the same chicken by brining and cooking in the oven.

The pulled pork was moist and tender. It had no real good smoke flavor.

The mediocre/unpleasant

All the meat had an overlay of soot/creosote. It wasn't heavy enough to make things inedible, just a slight unpleasant aftertaste.

The sauces - a sweet and a spicy - were nice. The sweet was not too sweet, and had a nice after kick of vinegar. The spicy was exactly the same. It certainly didn't have any chipotle flavor, and it was not spicy in any way.

As we were heading out after lunch, I took a look at their smoker, which is on the side of the restaurant. There was a pretty good plume of grey/brown smoke coming out of it.

Maybe they were having an off day. I may give them another try before writing them off, but based on yesterday, there are other joints in the area that do better Q' for the same or less money.

Last edited:
Back