Excellent BBQ in Hawaii!

revkab

is one Smokin' Farker
Farkers - I am astonished. I am doing a bit of vaca in Maui, Hawaii, and on just a whim, tried out a BBQ joint here. Several past guests in the Condo we're renting left positive comments in the guest book about this place, so I decided, with a great deal of skepticism, to give it a try. I mean, how many folks vacationing in Hawaii, from all over the world, actually know what acceptable Q really is?

So me and the missus trek down to a place in Kihei, Maui, called "Fat Daddy's BBQ." Good sounding name. Good Q? We'll see...

Got in the place and immediately ask the waiter about the ribs. Turns out he knows what he's talking about. He said they were a St. Louey cut, slow smoked over something called Kiawe wood. OK, so far, so good. They were actually exposed to real hardwood smoke. ) A little afterward research gave me that Kiawe is actually one of the mesquite family.)

So I go ahead and order me a 1/2 slab (yeah, I know, that's chicken shXX, but prices here ain't that easy on the pocketbook). Personally, I prefer the full cut slab, but since St Louey's were what they had, I said sure. I will admit to a little dread, not knowing what to expect this far from Kansas City.

So the ribs come out. 6 perfectly proportioned ribs, just a hint of a mop of sauce, nice bark, and VERY meaty. Smelled OK. Took my first bite. Hmmm - cooked just right. Soft bite to take the meat off of the bone, tender, meaty bite, most of the fat rendered out. Good taste. Again, not quite KC style, little different flavor (waiter told me the rub contained SPG, Chili powder, cumin, red pepper, and celery seed - good choices!).

All in all, turns out this Hawaiian joint was, while not quite KC style, better than most. A rather excellent set of ribs. Obviously cooked naked, unwrapped, with just a hint of a sauce mop. Not sticky sweet, but good!

My wife chose the pulled pork, and tasting it, we both agred it was very tasty, had just the right kiss of smoke, and had a rather good flavor profile.

Conclusion: Fat Daddy's BBQ in Kihei, Maui, is well worth the trip. Not sure what a KCBS judge would think, but I thought it was well done and very well worth my trip to their joint.

Attachments

• Fat Daddys 1.jpg
    Fat Daddys 1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Fat Daddys 2.jpg
    Fat Daddys 2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Fat Daddys 3.jpg
    Fat Daddys 3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 133
Great post, nice place to bookmark by the looks

Those ribs look great! I agree def try and find some huli huli chicken. I make copycat recipes all the time and its always great

Sound good! Now I have a reason to go to Hawaii (like I really needed a reason?) :-D

Good report and photos, and thanks for the info!
I'll put it on my "must do" list for next fall when we are in Maui for the basketball tourney.
THANKS AGAIN!

Back