Recipes for a pre-brined corned beef and cabbage?

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
Picked up a 6 lb corned beef flat yesterday, and have never cooked one at home. Was not planning on smoking it, but not sure whether it was best to oven roast, braise or boil it? Any great recipes?

I'm originally from New England where we put it in a large stock pot and bring it up to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes/lb. When almost done add potatoes and carrots. The last 10 minutes or so add a cabbage quartered cut.

Boiled many flats. Giving the new InstaPot a try this weekend.

Completely off-the-wall no-cook recipe that came out great. Would not try with a 6#.

I've smoked, roasted & boiled them in the past. They all come out good. If you smoke or roast, soak for a while with a water change to get rid of the extra salt.

I'm originally from New England where we put it in a large stock pot and bring it up to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cook for about 45 minutes/lb. When almost done add potatoes and carrots. The last 10 minutes or so add a cabbage quartered cut.

Did this. it's turning out great. Turned out the 'flat' I bought had about half the point on it.

Turned out delicious. Now we have stuff for Reubens with the leftovers!

335059685_534062622130079_3359377549131883686_n.jpg

We do slow cooker corned beef here (probably 7+ hours); add the veggies about 60-90 minutes before the meal. We like the cabbage way softer than a 10 minute simmer would give us.

Edit: Did I miss the memo where St.Patrick's day spans two weekends now?

We do slow cooker corned beef here (probably 7+ hours); add the veggies about 60-90 minutes before the meal. We like the cabbage way softer than a 10 minute simmer would give us.

Edit: Did I miss the memo where St.Patrick's day spans two weekends now?
No. For me, had to do a test drive with the new InstaPot. Have done slow cooker corned beef also. Brisket was done in 75 minutes vs 8 hours. Potatoes, carrots, cabbage took only 4 minutes.

Back