Corned Beef - Round: Cooking Rec

3LMBBQ

Cooked many a corned beef, but always brisket (either flat or point). Have a SRF "Corned Beef Round Halfcut". I am guessing its 5-6 lbs. What is the best way to cook it? Do you cook like a brisket or pull it at a lower temp like a regular beef roast (Med rare)? Open to any and all ideas, in the oven (gasp) or smokers. Just want it to taste amazing on rye bread with mustard, pickles, and swiss. Thank you in advance.

I just smoked a rump roast. Bottom round I think.
Brined and smoked to 200.
Sliced as thin as my slicer will go.
Super tender but just a bit on the dry side.
But made some great sandwiches.

This is a Corned beef Round, so in my book, this is more like what we call a corned "Silverside"

This is not at all like a brisket. Quite lean, tough and not a lot of flavour if you don't pickle it.

Interestingly, I use this raw cut to make my biltong, so very familiar with it.

What Aussies do in general with this is boil the bejesus out of it, either for hours, or in a pressure cooker.

I have smoked it up to approx 180F and then after this it needed several hours over a steamer to really do it justice.

A corned brisket (pastrami) needs a lot of work. This needs a helluva lot of work.

I have done many a corned round, I boil them like Aussie. I smoked one once, but I failed to presoak to leach excess salt, it was inedible - a salt lick fit for a horse pasture. I presoaked the next one for 24 hours changing the water a couple of times, smoked up nicely.

Because of their thickness, I do a longer soak-out too. Up to 36 hours. I monitor the internal temp and probe feel during smoking and usually finish in the 140°s. I do chill overnight before slicing. This one is chilled and you can see the veins of fat... much leaner than brisket.

qHaPoUc.jpg

Thanks all. I will soak, planning to try and smoke it on the pit barrel and will take to med about. and go from there!

Back