THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Figured out I need more shine for sure.

As for the uniform shape, I have worked really hard on trimming chicken. My brother in law and I spent over 2 hours trimming chicken before the comp. Even when I think they all look about the same and have wrapped the skins around them, form them in the pan, they still change a little after cooking.

Is there a trick I'm missing? We remove the skins completely, trim the chicken/fat from skin, shape the chicken, wrap the skins, and form 9 pieces each in two half sheet pans. Guess I just need more practice on shaping the chicken.

Last year at the same comp we got a call on chicken. We trimmed but didn't really shape the chicken too much. The only thing we were knocked on was our presentation so I've been working hard to improve it, but seems I have taken a step backwards.

If this was the Lenexa contest, I wouldn't put much creed in any score you received there. I remember Pellet Envy, two years ago, being 113th overall with a 622....nuff said.

As for the uniform shape, I have worked really hard on trimming chicken. My brother in law and I spent over 2 hours trimming chicken before the comp. Even when I think they all look about the same and have wrapped the skins around them, form them in the pan, they still change a little after cooking.

Is there a trick I'm missing? We remove the skins completely, trim the chicken/fat from skin, shape the chicken, wrap the skins, and form 9 pieces each in two half sheet pans. Guess I just need more practice on shaping the chicken.

Last year at the same comp we got a call on chicken. We trimmed but didn't really shape the chicken too much. The only thing we were knocked on was our presentation so I've been working hard to improve it, but seems I have taken a step backwards.

Trim/select for uniformity. Trim square. Don't be afraid to trim after cooking, for example on that middle piece on the left just snip off that part that sticks out and cover with sauce. Push all pieces together side to side and end to end. It keeps them warmer and hides a lot of shape/uniformity issues.

Like you said, tighten up your trimming a lot. As far as the shine goes, you probably need less time on the sauce set, and if it still looks dry, hit it with a little water from a Misto filled half way with hot water.

I spend almost 4 hours trimming chicken.

I would agree with the shine, and with the 8's. 6's on that box are really low, that being said you don't know what happened to it after it left your tent.

Back