Question on brisket temp safety after resting in a cooler

Mcc1972

Knows what a fatty is.
So I pulled a brisket, rested it down to 175, and threw it in a cooler wrapped in towels. This was 7 hours ago. I just probed it and it said 120 degrees. Not sure why, but I was fully expecting it to still be in the safe range. Would it be of to throw it in the oven at 170 for a few hours and eat later or just chunk it?

Thanks

So I pulled a brisket, rested it down to 175, and threw it in a cooler wrapped in towels. This was 7 hours ago. I just probed it and it said 120 degrees. Not sure why, but I was fully expecting it to still be in the safe range. Would it be of to throw it in the oven at 170 for a few hours and eat later or just chunk it?

Thanks

When you rested the brisket down to 175°, I'm guessing you had it wrapped in foil or pink paper? Did you vent the pouch, or keep it sealed when the temperature was falling? And later.... when you temped it and found it was at 120° was it probed through the foil?

The USDA safety rules, and the 40°-140° "danger zone" apply more to foods that are exposed to air, or are being served in a buffet table kind of thing. A 175° wrapped brisket in a (clean) cooler is very safe at the onset of hot holding. Over 6 or 7 hours it would take some pretty aggressive bugs to get into the cooler, then into a foil pouch, and make it past the salty bark, then start multiplying.

My only concern would be how much handling, and how careful you were, when you did the second probing. And how fast you went into the 170° oven.

Thanks
Freeze it then bring it to the 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Spring Bash!
We will warm it up!! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back