THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jbowie

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe Bowie
I recently tired of messing with the Meater block. I am now using Thermoworks Smoke 4. I like this product and its ease of use. My last cook I only had one probe that worked. I cook on WSM 22. I think I am damaging the probes by jamming them in the Weber provided Grommet. I have ordered 3 new probes from Thermoworks. Has anyone had any success feeding the probes thru the exhaust openings which are always open.
NOTE I have only had this unit 3 months.

I cant imagine the soft silicone grommet on the WSM damaging the probe unless you are using excessive force which shouldn't be necessary. Maybe you just got a bad probe. Good luck.

I wouldn't run wires through the bottom vents because proximity to the fire might damage the wire.

I run my wires through the side door of my WSM because my older model doesn't have the grommets for probe wires.

Probes

I probably was not clear, I am considering running probes into exhaust openings in dome.

I probably was not clear, I am considering running probes into exhaust openings in dome.

My bad, you clearly said exhaust vent. Comprehension fail on my part. I blame lack of coffee.

I have tried running wires through the top exhaust, but they get in the way if I need to lift the lid and spritz or rotate anything. Ends up being a PITA in my experience.

I still think the side door is a better option.

I've used Thermoworks probes for years, starting with the therma-q. While that uses K type probes, I have never had an issue with K-probes.

Last November I purchased the 4 Channel Signals and no problems with that either.

I do carefully coil them and store them in a protective case taking care not to pinch them or get them wet.

I'm not familiar with those probes, but my Maverick says to be careful cleaning and not to get water in where it connects to the probe. Also, don't pull on the wire when removing from meat or cleaning.

Only issue I've ever had with a TW probe was quickly resolved. I think I was well out of warranty, and I only made a comment about a bad probe on an unrelated Facebook post of theirs. Since I only order directly through the company, they looked up my name & sent me a probe to my address on file ... I didn't even ask for it.

That's why I have done business with them for well over a decade.

I've used Thermoworks probes for years, starting with the therma-q. While that uses K type probes, I have never had an issue with K-probes.

I do carefully coil them and store them in a protective case taking care not to pinch them or get them wet.

ditto

I’ve used those ThermoWorks probes for years ( through the rubber grommet on the WSM and through the exhaust vent on my Hunsaker drum) and never had an issue.

<edit> I don’t coil them up when storing them, just clean them off with a damp cloth and put them in a plastic bin with the rest of the smoker stuff </edit>

I don't often use probes in my cooking but I have no problems just running them in under the lid. I've never crimped or damaged one yet.

Technique is important when inserting probes through the probe grommet. Push the probe into the grommet, then when you go to pull the probe from the inside of the pit make sure you push the wire into the grommet at the same time so you are not putting strain on the probe when pulling it. I've made the mistake of pulling on the probe without assisting the wire and the result was the wire getting stretched away from the probe causing a short. I sometimes just run it under the lid, I just make sure to gently set the lid on the wire.

Get an angle grinder and cut a notch in the top of the barrel where the lid sits of the wsm it doesn't need to be very deep the probe wires will fit in that notch and have plenty of room I have runed probe wires by running under the lid this has worked great for me

Do the notch, easy, efficient and and no wire damage.
Trust me, your not going to hurt the WSM, lose any smoke or create a rust issue.

Spools

When I ordered 3 replacemet probes recently I ordered 4 spools. They will definitely help in storage of cables.

Drill a hole in your favorite spot, stick the probe through and plug up with something. I use a wadded up paper towel. It never caught fire...

I damaged one of my probes jamming it through the grommet. I bought a new probe and I bought new grommets. I installed a brand-new grommet on each probe. I leave the older, hardened grommet in when I am not using the probes and swap them out when I need a probe.

Back