I tried my new Meater 2 plus alongside my old Meater plus.

Shadowdog500

is One Chatty Farker
I put the original meater in the right breast and the new Meater 2 Plus in the left breast. We used my wife’s home made chicken rub. I really like it on thighs and wings using the vortex. Normally I like to keep my rotis poultry simple with salt, pepper, and butter on the bird, and beer and water in the pan.

IMG-5193.jpg

I put it on my Weber performer with a Rotis starting with 13 jealous devil max briquetts in each basket and kept the vents wide open during the entire cook.

IMG-5194.jpg

About 30 minutes in the dome showed about 360°.

IMG-5212.jpg

The meater plus showed 361° and the meater 2 plus showed 384°. You can distinguish the two probes by the decimal in the meater 2 internal temperature. Note the different temps and the different time remaining.

IMG-5213.png

Both of the probes showed a bump in ambient temp at around 10 minutes but the meater plus seemed to smooth the bump into a curve while the meater 2 plus didn’t.

IMG-5215.png

IMG-5214.png

Note that the bump in the ambient temp on the meater 2 is around 184°f. Near the end of the cook that part of the curve will be smoothed to eliminate the bump and will show the max temp at this time at around 130°. This shows me that the past info on the plot may not be what actually happened.

About 55 minutes into the cook each probe had totally different ambient temps and internal temps, but the estimated times to finish are converging.

IMG-5224.png

IMG-5225.png

From the ambient temp drops I decided it was time to add 5 briquettes to each side.

IMG-5226.jpg

Near the end of the cook the temps and the estimate until done began to converge.
Note that the that the Meater 2 curve is smoothed at the 10 minute mark and is lowered to about 130°

IMG-5239.png

IMG-5240.png

The meater plus indicated that the chicken was ready to remove from the heat two minutes before the meater 2 plus. I kept it on the rotisserie until both showed read to remove from the heat.

IMG-5250.png

IMG-5252.png

Here it is coming off! The popper said it was done too! LOL!

IMG-5255.jpg

Both finished resting at the same exact time.
IMG-5274.png

Here are the post cook curves that show the peak internal temperature for each. Note the meater internal temp is at the target temp and the meater 2 is below the target temp. Also note that both curves are smoothed and the curves almost identical. The meater 2 now peaks at 160°f on the second half of the cook even though the ambient showed much hotter earlier in the cook.

IMG-5277.png

IMG-5276.png

The chicken was cooked perfectly!

I thought it was interesting that the temps were different at first and then converged near the end. I haven’t chased ambient temps in a few years so I’m not overly concerned about the temps being different as long as the food comes out good. I’m going to do the same thing with two probes for the turkey this Thursday.

I’m also planning on doing a separate test to see how close the two probes are in the same exact environment. The new probe came with an official looking calibration chart. I hope it is accurate as they claim,

Last edited:
I guess Meater plus really was a cheater. Or is Meater 2 plus the cheater?

That said, why did you get a Meater 2 plus if you already had a Meater plus? What was the selling point on the upgrade?

I guess Meater plus really was a cheater. Or is Meater 2 plus the cheater?

That said, why did you get a Meater 2 plus if you already had a Meater plus? What was the selling point on the upgrade?

The ambient temp was increased from about 500°f to about 1,000°f. I’ve maxed out my original meater plus on multiple occasions.

I’m hoping it would be more accurate due to having 5 internal temperature probes in the tip instead of 1. It gives you a better chance of getting the best point.

I was also hoping that the new one would finish closer to the target finish temp more often. My meater plus would usually finish 3 to 5°f above the set point, and I usually compensated by setting it 3°f lower than the target. This cook is the first time it’s been spot on in a while.

It has a much longer range.
It is submersible for deep frying or simmering.
It is thinner.

Last edited:
I’m hoping it would be more accurate due to having 5 internal temperature probes in the tip instead of 1. It gives you a better chance of getting the best point.

Shadowdog, Did you mean there are 5 different temperature sensors in the tip instead of one?

I will have to look up the specs. The thing that I like about the Combustion probe is that it has multiple sensors along the length of the probe allowing you to determine the center accurately. If the Meater 2 Plus has pretty much the same thing, I missed that.

So really, it's showing that the Meater Plus was still pretty good and the 2 Plus just gives you a few more options?

Yes, the Meater plus still pretty good and I still plan on using it when cooking two different things at once. I originally planned to cook the chicken with just the new Meater 2 but decided to use them both to see how they compare.

The things that hit me first was how far apart all of the readings and estimates were from each other. This had me concerned. That’s why I decided to document this and post this thread.

At the beginning they were around 25°f apart but slowly converged and told me to remove from the heat within two minutes from each other and they were both ready to serve at the same time. I’m going to do my next few cooks the same way to see if this was by coincidence of if the same pattern will occur again.

The other thing I didn’t like is that the time vs. temperature plots are smoothed as the cook progresses and the final curves that are saved at the end are not a true representation of what actually happened.

The higher ambient temp on the new one will keep me from overheating the probe like I’ve done multiple times with the old one. The range on the new one is also significantly better.

I've loved my MEATER probes for years and I was glad to see the company grow the brand. Thanks so much for the thorough experiment and I have to give credit where it's due : there's not much else you could have done to given a more fair test between the two different probes. Same chicken, same cooker, rotisserie so the probes are both rotating around the heat...very thorough and well thought out.

This definitely has me sold on picking up a couple of the Meater 2 probes in the near future.

Back