BBQ Guru, Thermoworks Signals, and probe life.

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
Has anyone used the Thermoworks Billows yet? Especially anyone that may have used the BBQ-Guru previously.

I have had the BBQ-Guru Digi-QII for almost 12 years, and I still use it. I've never had a problem with the probes and they work flawlessly each and every time. I often see how many say that their probes fail and they scramble to find a replacement. I take care when cleaning and storing my probes; so I don't know it its care issue or a failure of the item itself they experience. Either way, after almost 12 years I am sure there is a greater chance of failure so I am ordering replacements as a back -up.

Some will say that the Guru unit is outdated, but it is simple and it works flawless for me. Why change what isn't broken, but with age I consider what might be my next option. I would like to see the temperatures remotely, but I also love the "ramp" feature of the BBQ-Guru.

About 6 months ago I purchased a 4 Channel Signals from Thermoworks. Again the probes work flawlessly and are reliable. But nothing offers the reliable feature of the Guru that I depend on. The Signals has a controller feature, but I'm not comfortable retiring the BBQ-Guru yet. I'll continue to experiment with the Signals Billows, but I'm not completely sold on the controller section of the unit yet. Anyone here use this for more than a few cooks that might have some input?

The remote temperature is the best, and even an old fart like me can understand the graph view if selected. Thermoworks has the Pro-Series Probes on sale (some 50% off). As an insurance policy I purchased extra probes, and an extra one to see if it is compatible to use on the BBQ-Guru. Hopefully I'll never need them, but cheap insurance at that price.

For those that have Thermoworks Signals, Smoke, ChefAlarm, or DOT. These are the Stainless Steel Overbraid probes.
https://www.thermoworks.com/shop/products/more/current-specials/

TX-1001X-OP_main-01__16550.1634020350.jpg

Last edited:
Back