Pork Loin and Fatty on mini wsm * pRon inside!

ardorx

Knows what a fatty is.
Pork Loin on sale for $1.99 lb. at the local Kroger the other day and I couldn't pass it up. Got off work tonight and decided it was
time to give some attention to that loin (and of course I picked up some country sausage on the way home too) I've reached the stage of
not being able to smoke JUST one thing at a time :loco:

Rubbed the Loin down with my standard homemade pork rub that I had laying around. Smoked over royal oak lump and a small hickory
chunk (didn't want to overpower the loin) @ 275 degrees. Took about 1 1/2 hours to get it to 140 degrees at which point I began to glaze
every 10 minutes till it go to 150, pulled it over and tented loosely with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes before slicing. Used a 50/50 of
Blues Hawg/Vinegar finishing sauce for pork (homemade) to
glaze with, I'm loving the color (my crappy cell phone pics don't do it justice).

The fatty consisted of local country sausage, some cream cheese, chopped bacon, sharp cheddar and a sprinkling of the above pork rub.
Took it to 160 and then let it rest and sliced, it tasted :-D Thanks for looking Brethren!

Last edited:
Well if it looks that good with a "crappy" cell phone pic I can only imagine what it would be like in true HD. Got a question for you. You mentioned you took the IT of the loin to 150 and then you tented it. I thought you had to take all pork to 165 but I have been wrong in the past or did it get there once you tented it?

Well if it looks that good with a "crappy" cell phone pic I can only imagine what it would be like in true HD. Got a question for you. You mentioned you took the IT of the loin to 150 and then you tented it. I thought you had to take all pork to 165 but I have been wrong in the past or did it get there once you tented it?

The standard "done" temp for pork is now 145. I would of pulled it off at 140, then rested under foil for 30 minutes. It'll continue rising in temp during the rest, and be a perfect 145 when sliced and served. Loin meat is very lean, so unless it's brined, it can dry out real easy when taken to higher temps.

The standard "done" temp for pork is now 145. I would of pulled it off at 140, then rested under foil for 30 minutes. It'll continue rising in temp during the rest, and be a perfect 145 when sliced and served. Loin meat is very lean, so unless it's brined, it can dry out real easy when taken to higher temps.

Thanks El Ropo. Is chicken what you want to take to 165? To many numbers bouncing around in my head.

Thanks El Ropo. Is chicken what you want to take to 165? To many numbers bouncing around in my head.

White meat 165, I like to take dark meat like leg quarters higher, like 180-185.

DJnKY, you'll be surprised what a 10 degree difference will do to a pork loin. Moist and tender to dry and tough in a heartbeat.

Back