Pop's 75 birthday cook / S.O.S

BGEChicago

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
none
Hi guys,

So no cinco pictures from me today, it was my dads 75 birthday today, he had two wishes; to see the grandkids and to eat his favorite "Army meal"... I tried to talk him out of the second request but he was having nothing of it... So, I present my easiest cook ever.

First, start with quality beef :icon_blush:

picture.php
[/IMG]

I don't think you guys want to see me make a rue then add milk so I"ll just show you what I ended up with:

picture.php
[/IMG]

Actually it wasn't too bad... My daughter sat down for lunch and asks "what is this?" after I explained my son asks "why would anyone eat this?" To which I replied "when I was a young boy we lived out of the Uber eats delivery zone" they found no humor in that....

Thanks for looking,
Greg

Yep, those things made their way into the Navy as well. Yours looks more appetizing. Happy birthday to your dad!

Happy Birthday to your Pop's!!
I am betting he had a big smile on his face as he enjoyed you cook. That was quite the breakfast for the Military back in the day, and they always seem to want it. I do enjoy it myself, just because.

Back when I was in Uncle Sam’s Cub scouts Back in the 70’s we were served SOS made with ground beef. Well they told us it was beef. Anyway I still to this day enjoy making up a big pan of it ,and having it with a pile of fried potatoes and eggs. Give your Pops a big Happy Birthday for me.

Happy 75th birthday to Greg’s dad!!!

Looks Delicious!!!

SOS is one of my favorites, especially when it’s made with Carl Budding Beef!!

The white sauce recipe on the back of Wondra flour is a great sauce for SOS.

INGREDIENTS
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons Gold Medal Wondra Flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

You know the rest!

Did the kids even try it? When made properly It actually tastes really good!

Last edited:
I used to love SOS when I was in the Navy! Lots of guys complained, but I'd be going up for 2nds. Maybe because we used to get it when I was a kid - one of the only meals my mother didn't fark up. Anyone else brought up on Banquet boiling bag dinners in the 1970s?

I've never attempted to make it myself.

Looks great! Happy Birthday to Pops. I love SOS.
Banquet boil in bag dinners seams to be conjuring a repressed memory or two. I steer clear of anything made by Banquet!

Absolutely awesome! Happy bday Pops!!!

Banquet bag dinners? I had totally forgotten about them. Now I want one...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Happy B'Day to your dad. I would destroy that. I buy those Buddig packets for quick cold sandwiches. Your cook looks delicious.

I used to love SOS when I was in the Navy! Lots of guys complained, but I'd be going up for 2nds. Maybe because we used to get it when I was a kid - one of the only meals my mother didn't fark up. Anyone else brought up on Banquet boiling bag dinners in the 1970s?

I've never attempted to make it myself.

Make it! It’s easy to make. Get a pack of budding beef at Walmart and some Wondra flour at the supermarket (It’s great flour for sauces and gravy because it is specifically to make velvety Sauces and does not clump and you don’t have to make a roux). Cut the beef up in pieces and make the white sauce on the back of the Wondra box. That’s it, done! My wife grills the beef a little before making the white sauce, I just toss the beef In with the milk, flour, butter, salt, and pepper and start cooking until it boils a bit, then shut off the heat and let it cool and thicken and serve over white toast. If you don’t use Wondra flour you will have to make a roux.

Last edited:
Happy Bday to your dad Greg!

I'd hit that all day long but I do like Spam also. :becky:

Seriously that looks good. Well done!

Happy Bday to your dad Greg!

I'd hit that all day long but I do like Spam also. :becky:

Seriously that looks good. Well done!

They, Mom and Pop are kinda special to me... I was born on their 4th wedding anniversary, funny how I never forget the wedding date :p But that is something in these days, married for 53 years.... I've only been at it for 15 :becky:

Thanks,
Greg

Just Think! When your Grandkids ask abut the Great TP Shortage of 2020 you can say "we had to drag our butts up hill both ways in the snow!"
Happy Birthday to your Dad. Enjoy him while you can.

Happy birthday to POP
That beef is a Luncheon sausage is it?

Eh, kind of hard to explain Tich, think of spam or the cheapest deli meat sliced razor thin, then add a ton of salt and artificial flavorings and sell 56.9 grams for $1.38 Australian dollar :p I'll assume you were born before 1966 and are not using the Imperial scale :) I just don't understand why Americans are so unhealthy... Ha Ha...

Thanks,
Greg

Back