Birthday pizza

BDAABAT

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Bruce
My son turned 24 on Tue. He requested pizza for his birthday dinner. So, we made pizza!

Poolish was got started on Sunday; dough made Monday. Pizza made Tuesday.

Tue morning, used several large onions to make caramelized onions.

Remarkable how much they cook down!

First pie was his request: white pizza. We use a base of smoked garlic oil on the dough, then add fresh mozzarella and some ricotta with the caramelized onions.

Into the Blackstone:

Just out:

Birthday pizza needs a candle!

Dressed with some fresh basil:

We made some Margerita pies as well - here's an undercarriage shot:

A bit of the side cut shot:

My son's other favorite pie: BBQ sauce, caramelized onions, banana peppers, and pineapple with a small amount of mozzarella. This one made into (sort of) a heart shape.

Thanks for looking!
Bruce

Heck yeah man

Thinking my next addition is a pizza oven like your

They fancy looking

Looks awesome Bruce! Happy bday to your son.

I've been playing with poolish myself recently and digging it. A buddy of mine picked up a Dome and I gave him some tutorials and made some pizza using poolish start. Pretty good results for Neapolitan style pies.

Tul6majl.jpg

gZ9AY53l.jpg

Looks amazing Sako!

RE: poolish. I've just been using this process from Vito:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsCEJ8CWlg&t=3s

Agreed, works well for Neapolitan pies.

I've also been playing around with percentages of 00 flour and bread flour, trying to get a bit more "bite" into the crust. The straight up Neapolitan crust can sometimes be too soft for my preference. Need more practice!

Bruce

@ Josh: we've been using semolina on the wood peel (kinda like teeny ball bearings). Only had a couple of inadvertent strombolis so far. Have also tried using parchment paper, but didn't like the results as much.

Bruce

Looks amazing Sako!

RE: poolish. I've just been using this process from Vito:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjsCEJ8CWlg&t=3s

Agreed, works well for Neapolitan pies.

I've also been playing around with percentages of 00 flour and bread flour, trying to get a bit more "bite" into the crust. The straight up Neapolitan crust can sometimes be too soft for my preference. Need more practice!

Bruce

Lol, that's who I learn from too. I like his charisma and info he shares.

Absolutely! I've been playing with hydration too all the way up to 80 ish but I'm loving the 65 to 67% range.

I've been playing with King Arthurs 00 flour with pretty positive results.

C7r9sMzl.jpg

one day ill figure out how to get the pizza off the peel an into the oven LOL

those look bomb!
Cornmeal works great. Like Bruce said, "like teeny ball bearings". They also take me back to pizza of my youth...that tiny bit of crunch they add to the undercarriage.

Back