Plenty of Pecos

Do y'all still consider these pretty good entry level offsets? My local Academy has them and I have always wondered about them. What type of mods would need to be done to make them run well? I can do a few things, but I am definitely not the most advanced when it comes to a lot of the welding and stuff some of you can do. If I can make it run well for $500 to see if I like stick burning though, that is what I consider a win. Or would it be more aggravation than it's worth and make me hate the idea of trying with a stickburner?

I purchased mine used for $150.00 so take this for what it's worth. I think they are a great value compared to other smokers sold at big retail stores. I would've paid retail for one if I hadn't found the used one and wouldn't have considered it wasted money. As far as mods go there are several videos on youtube. The only extras I'd encourage you to by would be some gaskets to seal up the doors and a cover. But, if you're worried about the cost check facebook marketplace and craigslist for a used cooker and go that route.

I removed my baffle with an angle grinder and added a stack extension. Super easy. It runs great for the price! Raleighsmoke, fikscue, and as of yesterday madscientistbbq have videos on it. Although madscientistbbq made the baffle removal harder than it needed to be.

Do y'all still consider these pretty good entry level offsets? My local Academy has them and I have always wondered about them. What type of mods would need to be done to make them run well? I can do a few things, but I am definitely not the most advanced when it comes to a lot of the welding and stuff some of you can do. If I can make it run well for $500 to see if I like stick burning though, that is what I consider a win. Or would it be more aggravation than it's worth and make me hate the idea of trying with a stickburner?

Yes. They don’t really need any mods. May have a hot side and a not as Hot side - which can be Gods if cooking chicken and real meat at same time. Additional baffle/plate and/or water pan can Help even temps from side to side. Others like to take out baffle like stated. I put a cookie sheet with disposable water pan under grate on firebox side. I’m thinking the older models had a smaller baffle but I could be imagining things…….

Last edited:
Back