PKGO or ?

JBirdP

Name or Nickame
JBirdP
Going to West Point in a couple of weeks for A-Day weekend and my new cadet wanted some steaks "like home". So, we have a PK360 that is solely used for steaks and I thought about a PKGO or the equivalent for the portability.

Thought I would ask for some advise as I need to buy in the next day or two to get it here and have a cook or two prior to traveling. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

Never owned one, but a Weber Jumbo Joe is mentioned often here as a great portable.

The SnS travel kettles look pretty cool. A little pricier than the jumbo joe, but it has a lot more options.

We use PK Gos for SCA cook offs and love them. PK quality in a smaller package! ,
Plus, with the flip kit you can use the top and bottom as two separate grills if you need more cooking space.

I love my PKGO. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a portable grill.

https://www.pkgrills.com/the-original-pktx-grill-smoker-classic-silver/

I was looking at this one for a bit more capacity to smoke. Will the PK Go smoke reasonably? If I'm going to just grill, a Hibachi or Smokey Joe is easier to travel with. The main capsule is ~20"x~20x~26" with an extra 14" for the scissor legs.

That would fit in a big car trunk or pretty easily in an SUV with a reasonable amount of luggage.

Traveling with a WSM is a bit of mess if you don't spend a lot of time cleaning up so, the PK options look good for smoking and grilling on something that isn't gross at a park used for animal sacrifices and God knows what by drug addicts and homeless people with mental problems (sorry bad experiences out West in Colorado specifically). I generally stay off the beaten path to avoid unseemly places on my travels so, taking a good smoker makes more sense and if I can dual use it as a grill, all the better because I can leave my small Hibachi/Smokey Joe at home. Gotten a whiff of smoke with a Smokey Joe using Pecan branches on top of charcoal but, that only really works on something like fish and some chicken. With beef and pork the smoke flavor is really only lightly applied to the juices and fat on the surface of the meat.

A little off topic so, back to main topic:
PK Go versus the PK-TX "Original"? Will the little one Smoke reasonably or, do I need to step up the larger "original" model?

https://www.pkgrills.com/pkgo-tailgate-stand-for-original-pk-grill-smoker/

This will convert your PK Original to a PKGo style option! It might be a good solution for you.

PKGo_002_5200_AlexKent__50217.1531755420.jpg

SRP_1603__52558.1531752883.png

Back