PKGO or PK360 for SCA Comps?

TBoneMac

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Mac
I'm an SCA judge hoping to begin competing next year. At most comps I see a lot of PK360 grills and PKGO grills.

I like the compactness and portability of the PKGO, but how does it compare to the PK360 as far as consistent temperature control, uniform cooking, and overall ease of use?

Thanks

First I will say I have never cooked on either but have cooked in a lot of comps and I have seen them. As far as ease of use and temp control both will be about same. The PKGO may run hotter due to more compactness but this could likely be managed by starting only handful of briquettes or lump to start.

What would be primary purpose of these cookers. Not much real estate on them and would need multiple to have enough coverage for a comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used both and have had success with both. The 360 is more versatile since you have more grilling space, which gives you more choices of where to put your steak based on grate temps, and it is basically self-contained. But, it is bigger to haul and heavier. The Go has a smaller cook area, so less choice, and is lighter and smaller, but you'll need to carry a table to set it on.

If you're traveling a good distance in a car/SUV (or going to be doing a bunch of events), I'd suggest the GO. Even the C4's and M16's are becoming more and more popular for the "points chasers" on the SCA circuit.

If you are just doing some occasional events or might need more versatility for Ancillary events or other comps, then get the 360.

I've used both and have had success with both. The 360 is more versatile since you have more grilling space, which gives you more choices of where to put your steak based on grate temps, and it is basically self-contained. But, it is bigger to haul and heavier. The Go has a smaller cook area, so less choice, and is lighter and smaller, but you'll need to carry a table to set it on.

How do you transport the PK360? Does the stand remove/attach easily?

What do you think of the Tx? Looks to be a great compromise with more space, no need for a table and folded/portable.
(I'm not in the market but was curious)

If you're traveling a good distance in a car/SUV (or going to be doing a bunch of events), I'd suggest the GO. Even the C4's and M16's are becoming more and more popular for the "points chasers" on the SCA circuit.

If you are just doing some occasional events or might need more versatility for Ancillary events or other comps, then get the 360.

You are EVIL... I hadn't seen the C4s prior to tonight, and now I want one... Don't need one, but want one.

How do you transport the PK360? Does the stand remove/attach easily?

Yes, there is a knob under the capsule that you tighten/loosen to lift it off of the pedestal. The side tables also come off easily.

What do you think of the Tx? Looks to be a great compromise with more space, no need for a table and folded/portable.
(I'm not in the market but was curious)

The TX is nice. It is based on the Classic capsule. Some folks don't like the bottom vents on the classic. The 360 and the Go have more accessible vents.

i have had a PK, then a OKJ rambler and now a M16. it is all great cookers just depends on how you want to use them and the price point

Back