Pit decision

LouisianaLegend

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
I've been looking into upgrading from the old country pit I've had to something more versatile for competitions and other uses.

I was originally looking into a traditional off set trailer rig. However, I have changed direction and I am leaning more towards a vertical upright insulated gravity feed smoker or a direct cabinet smoker. More specifically , I am thinking about ordering the "MINI" vertical insulated cabinet smoker from Lone Star Grillz. That being said, I haven't completely ruled out a pellet smoker but I know absolutely nothing about that type of smoker. Does anyone use both types and if so what are the advantages/disadvantages of both?

I like the look and design of the vertical smokers, plus, I definitely like the temp management features for cooking comps. I'm ready to dive off into the purchase especially since it'll take weeks to get a pit made.

I don't know if there is already a thread on this topic, so I apologize if this has been addressed before.

Any input would be appreciated.

Backwoods! I been a backyard farker for years. After sometime looking and debating I finally broke down this year and purchased a Backwoods Party!

The Party is one efficient, low and slow, cooking unit. It glides on temp for hours. You can low and slow enough Q for 50 in the back yard or it's portable enough to take to a comp and hang with the pros.

I have no regrets!

All great pits listed above. I prefer LSG. My advise is do your homework. Research, research, research. Then decide where it will live. Are you going to move it much? Which way should the doors open? Look on the trading post here you, might find a great deal on a slightly used one. Good luck!
P.S. I agree with backwoods being local you will save on shipping.

Does anyone know if Backwoods stocks any of their products or are they made to order? Backwoods wouldn't be bad but if I've got to wait 10 weeks then I'll just got with LSG.

If you are going to spend that much money, get the one you want. Not trying to talk you into one brand or another. Just would hate to see you make a mistake and take your second choice due to number one having a waiting period.

Well, it is and it isn't about the wait time. I am coming from using a traditional stick burner to wanting an upright cabinet smoker. I'm also wanting to compete more so I'm trying to decide on the best use of my money and what pit may fit into my plans.

Well, it is and it isn't about the wait time. I am coming from using a traditional stick burner to wanting an upright cabinet smoker. I'm also wanting to compete more so I'm trying to decide on the best use of my money and what pit may fit into my plans.

Cabinet smokers at Lone Star Grillz average waiting time is 9 weeks. I got mine 9 weeks to the day. I couldn't be happier with mine! It was worth the wait and the money!

Back